Reply To: Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith

Home Forums Have a Little Faith Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith Reply To: Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith

Ben Graham

Have A Little Faith is a very good book. It is broken down well and written in a way that makes it very easy and enjoyable to read. I really like how the Reb was so dedicated to his religion. He got frustrated on a few occasions, but he never let it affect his faith. Then, there is Henry Covington. This man had gone from being a drug-dealer who had broken every one of the Ten Commandments, to being one of the most caring and giving men I have ever read about. Once he gave his life to God, he was simply amazing. He would give everything he could to his congregants, even letting one live in his house for over a year. The Reb had grown up all of his life with a very strong and dedicated faith to his religion. Henry, on the other hand, made all of the wrong decisions growing up, and was not religious at all. This book shows that people can change. After Henry gave his life to God, the similarities between the two men became more and more noticeable. This book shows that everyone is the same. No one is better than any one else, which is what my first quote is talking about on page 226 in the conversation between Mitch and the Reb.“ ‘ Do you really think we’ll meet again one day?”Don’t you?” Well, come on, I said, sheepishly. I doubt I’m going to whatever level you’re going to.” Mitch, why do you say that?”Because you’re a man of God.”You’re a man of God, too,’ he whispered. ‘Everyone is.’ ”I really like this quote, because it shows that it doesn’t matter if you’ve made mistakes, you’re no less of a person than anyone else is. We are all men of God.Another great quote from this book comes from page 221 when Mitch is talking to Henry. Henry says, “You can’t work your way into heaven. Anytime you try and justify yourself with works, you disqualify yourself with works. What I do here, every day, for the rest of my life, is only my way of saying, ‘Lord, regardless of what eternity holds for me, let me give something back to you. I know it don’t even no scorecard. But let me make something of my life before I go…’”I love this quote. Far too often, people do good things to try to work their way into heaven. They don’t really want to help people. They are only helping others, because they feel like they have to. They aren’t just trying to give back to God. They are doing it for themselves, just as much as they are for other people.I would like to talk about one more quote from this book. This quote is on page 197.The Reb says, “one thing God gave us- and I’m afraid it’s at times a little too much- is free will. Freedom to choose. I believe he gave us everything needed to build a beautiful world, if we choose wisely.”This is my favorite quote from the book. There are problems in the world, but I don’t believe that God wanted these things to happen. We were given everything that we needed to build a perfect world, but we have free will. Free will is the greatest and worst gift that God has given us. We are encouraged to do good things, but we have the ability to do anything that we wish. Everyone doesn’t do the right thing, but that is part of what makes the world such a great place.

Pin It on Pinterest