Reply To: Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith

Home Forums Have a Little Faith Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith Reply To: Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith

When my teacher had assigned this book for our class to read, I thought oh gosh, not another nonfiction book, please! However, after reading this book, I am very glad that I had the chance and the privilege to have read Have A Little Faith. This book kept my attention all throughout the book, and also tugged at my heartstrings. This book is also easy to read and a very relatable to many people. I found myself being particularly drawn to the Reb. He was a very wise man, and I would love to have had the chance to sit down with him and have a conversation with him.

My favorite quote is from early on in the book when Mitch says, “Man likes to run from God.” This quote stood out the most to me, even after I finished the book, I still kept thinking back to this quote. I just find so much truth in it. This quote made me question my own faith and made me realize how much I do try to run from God.
Another quote I particularly liked is when The Reb had said, “You’re a man of God, too, everyone is.” Because right before this Mitch and the Reb were talking about whether or not they would see each other again. And I think that it is true, we tend to put our religious leader on a pedestal thinking we will never live up to them. For instance, a Pastor, or in Mitch’s case, his Rabbi.
The quote that stood out the most to me was when the Reb was talking about a minute with God and he says, “Lord, I’ve done x amount of good stuff on earth. I have tried to follow your teachings and to pass them on. I have loved my family, I’ve been part of a community. And I have been, I think, fairly good to people.
So, Heavenly Father, for all this, what is my reward?
And what do you think God will say? …
He’ll say, ‘Reward? What reward? That’s what you were supposed to do!'”
I loved it when the Reb said this. So many people today think that if they do good deeds they can “buy” their way into heaven. When the truth is, that is only one of our duties.
During one of his sermons, Pastor Henry says “You knew me. You knew that person, but you don’t know the person that I’m trying to become.” I absolutely loved this part. Society today is very judgmental. There are people out there trying to better themselves, however, due to harsh words from others, they become discouraged. I hate it when people judge others based solely on their past. The past is the past, and if someone is working to be a better person, they shouldn’t let someone else’s words stand in their way.
A quote that had made my heart melt is when the child from one of the Reb‘s sermons said “Mom, you’re not listening with your eyes.” That part had really touched my heart and made me feel bad for the little girl.

Pin It on Pinterest