Reply To: Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith

Home Forums Have a Little Faith Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith Reply To: Favorite lines from Have a Little Faith

Dani42

I have always enjoyed reading very much. It is for this reason that I find the notion of reading a single book more than once silly when more books are present. Therefore,when I read Have a Little Faith twice in the span of two weeks I knew it was special. The incredible thing about this book is that it does not offer an action packed story line decorated with heroism, but simply the truth. This truth is delivered by both words and actions recorded by the pen of Mitch Albom.
One of my favorite quotes from this book can be found on pg. 155 and it says,”I think about PastorHenry an his roof hole. It is the first time I see a connection. An inner-city church.A suburban synagogue.” This quote is one of the many examples in the book that attempt to highlight the universal theme of faith while not forsaking the differences. Within this book we are exposed to the traditions and belief sytems of a Jewish rabbi, Albert Lewis and that of a Detroit pastor, Henry Covington.
We learn that to each of these men faith holds a different meaning. To Albert it is something he embraces to remain “connected” to a way of life shared by many. For Henry,faith is something he depends on to keep him alive. Since abandoning his criminal past Henry has been poor in everything but faith. What I like about these two situations is that I feel they bring about the truth that faith cannot be measured. Despite the acts of kindness or devoutness Mitch attributes to both, I cannot say who has the geatest faith as it is something that exists inside each of us.
Another one of my favorite quotes can be found on page 161-“….you shoud be convinced of the authenticity of what you have, but you must also be humble enough to say that we don’t know everything.” What I like most about this quote is that it presents one of the greatest struggles of faith.
It is easy to say you believe or have faith in something when the other person you are talking to feels the same. The hard part is not feeling threatened when someone feels just as strongly on the opposing end. From this struggle there has and contnues to result many conflicts like the one shared by Albert’s congregant and the catholic priest.
However, this quote gives us confidence in the knowledge that true faith is not magnified by proving it, but rather by not disproving anothers. If we do not hold steadfast to our beliefs we cannot expect others to adopt or accept them. The quote reminds me that faith is not selfish or proud . Instead it is what humbles those who are.
The last quote I would liketo use comes from Cass on page 206. It says, “That kindness saved my life.” Cass of course is referring to the uncompromising charity of Henry who gave him a place to heal when he was both helpless and homeless.What I liked most about this quote is that it challenged me to ask the question of what a world without faith would be like.
We often blame our faith when we become witness to pain or suffering. At times like these we even begin to question the “authenticity”of our faith. Cass’ quote though leads me to believe that the pain and suffering would only be greater. If Henry would not have found his faith it is unlikely Cass would have found his and both would have remained drug addicts until their deaths. If we did not have faith how could we lead ourselves to dream or realize that imagination is often disguised as innovation?
This book is filled with many lines that provide both answers and questions. I have only mentioned a few and would therefore recommend this book in hopes that someone would discover the many others.

Pin It on Pinterest