Reply To: Thoughts on Have a Little Faith

Home Forums Have a Little Faith Thoughts on Have a Little Faith Reply To: Thoughts on Have a Little Faith

Mikel

I would hope that there is room in this discussion for opinions other than glowing endorsements of Have a Little Faith. I sought out this site after I heard Mitch promoting his book on the radio. I took exception when he wheeled out the old saw: “If you don’t believe in God, you believe in nothing,” which Mitch took a step further to imply that without a belief in a supreme being there is no basis for morality. This seems nonsensical to me. My life experience tells me that I can believe in something (or many things) other than what you might believe in without necessarily believing in nothing. I also find G.K. Chesterton’s overused quote: “When people stop believing in God they don’t believe in nothing, they believe anything,” to be both illogical and fallacious. It doesn’t follow that if I don’t believe in one thing I must therefore believe in either nothing or anything. Why can’t I simply believe in other things that may not be supernatural but still inform my moral view of the universe? I believe I can.

Pin It on Pinterest