Reply To: Thoughts on Have a Little Faith

Home Forums Have a Little Faith Thoughts on Have a Little Faith Reply To: Thoughts on Have a Little Faith

Recently in my Dual Credit English class, we finished reading Mitch Alboms’ latest novel, “Have A Little Faith.” This book is one of the GREATEST books I have ever read. When my teacher was telling us that this book was awesome and that we were going to love it, I had a hard time believing her because every other book we have read, has been boring and a real struggle to get through. Although, “Have A Little Faith” was not. I read this complete book with no problem, and for once in class, I felt like I actually knew what was going on. I don’t usually like to read a book unless it catches my attention in at least the first few chapters, but this book caught my attention on the very first page with the one question, “Will you do my eulogy?” Who wouldn’t want to read this book and find out what actually happens and why this man was chosen to do such a great deed, as give a eulogy for a man he usually runs from. This book took me through a winding journey as I read the stories of two completely different men, they came from different past times, different towns, but they had the same goals in life. “When you come to an end, thats where God begins,” (79). is one of my favorite quotes in the book because I find a lot of truth in this saying, most people give up when they hit the bottom or believe that things couldn’t get any worse, but thats what God wants you to think so that he can step in and take action. I also loved the quote on page 115, “God doesn’t punish anyone out of the blue, He know what he is doing.” This just proves to me that God does have a plan for everyone and that no matter what you are going through, it happens for a reason. You may hear people say, why me… or what did I do to deserve this? But its not about what you did, its about what God is doing for you, everything he does, he has a plan for it, and there is always a reason behind it. I love the Reb’s view point in life, he is dying and he knows it, but he still goes on as if nothing is happening, helping others, because he knows that there is someone else out there that has it worse than he does. I also look at how Henry has had the life he has, how terrible he used to be, and how he could be so much richer in his old life, but instead he chooses to live for the Lord, and help the people. When the little girl makes the statement “But we do have a home… we just don’t have a house to put it in,” (111). This reminds me of the things that Henry does for the people in the community. Some of the people may think that Henry’s church is their home, they just don’t initially have a house, its amazing how such little things that you do can make such a difference to people. I love the story line of this book and how it shows that you can turn your life around no matter how bad it is, and that the Lord will be there for you no matter what your past is like. I have gained respect for Albert Lewis and Henry Covington both while reading this novel. I honestly think that this novel has made a great impact on me and the way that I take things. I plan to read the rest of Mitch’s books, as soon as I can. So if you are looking for a great book to read, and need some lifting up, try out “Have A Little Faith.” But remember; no matter what you are going through, there is always someone who has it worse.

Pin It on Pinterest