Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Ehhrica

Every time we read in school I always long for a book that’s actually interesting to read and that I would enjoy. I found that in Tuesdays With Morrie. It was interesting, a great read, gave great life lessons, and left you with many things to think about; a book I just couldn’t put down. While reading this book I was marking things that meant something to me, or just really stood out. In the end, I came out with over 55 quotes, aphorisms, and segments from Tuesdays With Morrie.The tension of opposites stuck to me the moment I read it. I found myself constantly thinking about it in my life situations because it’s so relatable. “Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn’t. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you should never take anything for granted.” This just related to me so much because many things often do hurt my feelings when they’re not supposed to. I realize they shouldn’t hurt my feelings when I am down or upset about it. I feel so selfish when this happens, but I guess I always ran away from the idea. “Love wins. Love always wins,” really opened my eyes and my mind to what I was so closed off to. Often when things hurt my feelings it was accompliced with something or someone that I loved. Maybe it hurt my feelings so much because I took it or them for granted, and when something came along that I felt threatened by, I would get scared. I feel like this quote explained it wonderfully, and made me realize why I was doing it. I find myself not worrying about so much anymore, and not taking things for granted as much.The excercise Morrie did about falling caught me off guard with his response and how he looked at it. “Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too–even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” The way he looked at this is just something I really loved. I had always heard things like, “The best things in life aren’t things,” and other things along that line, but the way he paired it with falling really lit the lightbulb in my head on what it’s about. I find myself having a hard time trusting people, and I never knew why. I mean, we don’t really like think we are ever the problem, but I know it is me. If I don’t feel that someone really trusts me, I don’t trust them. Words only go so far, but they sure don’t go far enough for me when it comes down to something like that. It takes a lot of trust to fall back into someones arms in hopes that they will catch you. It’s scary, you don’t know what will happen, but when you let go of that idea you let yourself fall. You can’t trust someone and let someone trust you if you don’t let them “fall” into your life.”It’s very simple. As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed at twenty-two, you’d always be as ignorant as you were at twenty-two.” I was that kid that always wished I was older, but I never looked at it this way. I guess that’s the ignorance in me; I don’t appreciate what point I am in my life right now. “Aging is not just decay, you know. It’s growth. It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die, it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better like because of it.” I appreciate this quote a lot more now that I am older, and a bit more mature (I hope) than I was when I wished I was where I’m at now. “I wish I was 16 so I could drive”; “I wish I was 18 so I could do what I want,” I realize now, since I am at that point in my life, it’s not all I cracked it out to be. I have so many more responsibilities, and I’m at a big changing point in my life: becoming an adult. I am a senior in high school and in about 6 months I will be taking on the world on my own, as an adult. It’s scary growth, but it’s good growth; it’s something I need to carry on my life with. I’m still a bit scared because I know that as I grow older, I grow closer to dying. I’m still taking in this quote, and I hope that one day, soon, I will understand this a little better and live a better life: live without fear of the future.It was extremely hard for me to pick 3 of my favorite quotes, but I love the ones I picked. All the things Morrie has taught me through this book will help me forever. It’s helped me and pushed me into things I would deny, and what I was afraid of. But like Morrie said, you have to detach. I’m thankful I had the chance to encounter this book, and be able to read it. I really feel like it’s changed me and who I am in ways I didn’t think I would reach. It reminded me about life and it’s importance.

Pin It on Pinterest