Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

My English 101 class just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. Typically, I dread reading books in school. They always bore me and I just tend to skim over the pages. In the first trimester of our english class we read a few of Mitch’s articles. I loved his writing technique and just never dreaded reading it. So, when I found out we were reading Tuesdays with Morrie, I was looking forward to it. This has probably been one of the best books I have ever read mainly because it taught me so many life lessons that other books don’t tend to have. Throughout the book, I marked a series of quotes and life lessons from both Mitch and Morrie. Out of all of the things I marked, three statements by Morrie just stuck with me and gave me something to really think about. My favorite from Morrie is in the section about the fear of aging. Morrie says, “Mitch, it is impossible for the old not to envy the young. But the issue is to accept who you are and revel in that. This is your time to be in your thirties. I had my time to be in my thirties, and now is my time to be seventy-eight. You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue.” Thsi really spoke to me. I am a senior and I will be graduationg soon. I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that I’m growing up. But, Morrie helped me to learn that growing old isn’t a bad thing at all. Now is my time to be 18 and enjoy my senior year of high school. Don’t dread growing up, just enjoy the time that you have now. Another favorite quote of mine from this book is in the section about emotions. Morrie says, “But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. and only then you can say, ‘All right. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.'” I get upset probably more than normal people should. But, this life lesson taught me that I need to realize what is going on and detach myself from the emotion. There is no need in dwelling on something for a long amount of time. That’s not healthy for anyone. Altogether, this has made me a much happier person. There are so many more quotes and life lessons found in this book. After reading Tuesdays with Morrie, I feel like I know Morrie. He has definitely made an impact on my life. I would highly recomend this book for anyone. It’s just one of those books I feel that everyone should take the time to read. You never know, Morrie could have an impact on your life as well.

Pin It on Pinterest