Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

“Have you ever really had a teacher? One who saw you as a raw but precious thing, a jewel that, with wisdom, could be polished to a proud shine?” I felt like Morrie was teaching me personally throughout this book. I could see myself sitting across from him taking the final class. Here are just a few of the lessons and simple truths that I felt I learned from Morrie:”Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it” pg. 18 This quote really stuck out to me because I’ve been struggling with my past recently. I’ve been getting upset over past mistakes, asking what if, and wondering if the choices I’ve made in the past have affected my future. As I’ve read this book I was amazed at how Morrie could look at the terrible moments in his past and control his emotions so well. He still got upset, yet he didn’t dwell on it. He used it to grow and become the person he was, while not letting the past overwhelm his life “ . . . I know what a misery being young can be, so don’t tell me it’s so great. All this kids who came to me with their struggles, their strife, their feelings of inadequacy, their sense that life was miserable, so bad they wanted to kill themselves . . .” “Mitch I embrace aging” pg. 117 and pg. 118 No other statement in the book it more honest than the first one. I’m at a point where I am always stressed, rushing around, doing five things at once, and just being miserable in general. I don’t have a bad life. I have amazing friends and a family that loves me, yet I’m miserable. I like Morrie embrace aging. The older I get the better I’m able to handle the stress and feel like I’m valued. Morrie helped me to fully understand how to embrace it. Take your time and enjoy the process and don’t dwell on the bad, but focus on the joys of it. Look back on what you did and the past and smile and look forward and be excited. “Do the kind of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won’t be dissatisfied, you won’t be envious, you won’t be longing for somebody else’s things. On the contrary you’ll be overwhelmed with what comes back.” Pg. 128 This hit the hardest. Even in his death Morrie was helping others. He didn’t wallow in self pity. He didn’t complain. He taught. He cared. He loved. That’s what is wrong with so many people, including myself, today. We get caught up with what is in our heads. We think about what is logical and what is best for us. If we lived as perfectly logical human beings life would be terrible. If we follow our hearts we may stumble and we may fall, yet we will come out so much happier in the end. Just like Morrie.I could go on and on about the lessons Morrie taught me through this book, but I simply don’t have enough time or room to type all of that out. Thank you Mitch for sharing Morrie’s wisdom with the world. Thank you Morrie for taking time to teach your last class.

Pin It on Pinterest