Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Trish

Recently our English 101 class read “Tuesdays with Morrie.” I’m not a big fan of reading; I usually can’t stand the sight of a book. This book was different I enjoyed it way more than I thought. Most books have stories and lessons you learn from. Yes, Morrie had plenty of stories and lessons but to me it felt more like an instruction manual on life itself: How to live, how to embrace love, and the most important, how to face death. “Tuesdays with Morrie” had so many life lessons but this one in particular stuck out to me. “As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away. All the memories are still there. You live on-in the hearts of everyone you have touched and natured while you were here.” Everyone is scared of dying, but there is a right way to die. Most people who have had someone to pass away feel as if they are gone forever. But if we have love it feels like they’re still here. Helping and Guiding you through the many challenges life may throw at you. It’s not the same but as close as you can get to having them back. We still have memories and no one can take them away from you. This person has touched your life in some way and there is no way you can forget that. Memories are with us always and that’s something we can cherish forever.Morrie says, “Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness. I can tell you, as I’m sitting here dying, when you most need it, neither money nor power will give you the feeling you’re looking for, no matter how much of them you have.” I love this quote it says so much about our society today. We believe if we have money we can do or have anything. When in all reality money is nothing it’s mainly a necessity. It’s not going to stop you from dying, nothing will not even power you just have to accept. That means you have to live everyday as if it were your last, don’t have regrets and most all love to the fullest of your ability because love is what it’s all about.One more quote that stuck out to me was one that said “Love each other or perish. It’s good no? And it’s true. Without love, we are birds with broken wings.” Morrie showed compassion, something most people try to dodge, including Mitch at first. We are all scared if we show compassion that means we are weak. But when you show compassion you let people in. Yes, we are all scared at first, but it will help in the long run, because without love we are birds with broken wings, as Morrie says.I feel Morrie wasn’t just a teacher he was more like a best friend that gave you advice. When I was reading I felt like I knew him. Morrie’s last thesis had to be the most powerful one I have ever seen. He helped me realize “Once you learn how to live you learn how to die.” That will stay with me forever. I will always remember Morrie Schwartz and the life lessons he taught me.

Pin It on Pinterest