Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Emma Ison

After reading Tuesdays with Morrie this book made me realize how precious life is. One minute your living, and then the next your dead. That’s what life boils down to: birth, the in between, and death. By reading Tuesdays with morrie I learned that we must cherish every single day we have because our time is very limited. I really loved Morrie’s perspective on life in today’s society “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” Morrie’s perspevtive on life made me realize that everyone is just too wrapped up in wanting power, money, and expensive things to realize the little things in life. Morrie taught me that in order to find meaning and joy in your life, you need to love others, be a positive part of your community, and be something bigger than yourself. This book has also changed my personal perspective on death as well. Tuesdays with Morrie opened my eyes to the idea that death isn’t all that bad. “Let’s begin with this idea, everyone knows they’re going to die, but nobody believes it.” When Morrie said this it really hit home for me. Most teenagers like myself belive that we are going to live forever, that death will never reach us, but it’s going to happen to all of us at some point in time it just depends on how we choose to view it. Do we push it off or do we embrace it? Morrie taught me to embrace it. He chose to spend his final days touching the lives of others, and not spending every minute of everyday feeling sorry for himself. So many people choose to view death as something bad, something that everyone trying to avoid. If we embrace death, and look at it differently, it wouldn’t be so hard to accept. There wouldn’t be such a dark shadow on death and the grieving process wouldn’t be as hard as it is now. Overall, life and death are very similar and reading this book has made me realize that. Our life is a blessing, how we choose to view that blessing, is our own choice. When I finished the book it really made me think of how I view my life, like Morrie said, “Do I wither up and disappear, or do I make the best of my time left?” This quote made me think that I really want to make the best of what time I have been given here on this earth before I have tho leave it. This has been the biggest lesson that I have learned from reading Tuesdays with Morrie, learning how to look at life and death differently and accepting that things happen for a reason.

Pin It on Pinterest