Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Recently my high school english class was given the assignment to read your book Tuesday’s With Morrie. When given the assignment I assumed it would be just like reading any other old book. Never in my life could I have imagined learning so much from someones story of dying. I never imagined I could learn so much about love, life, friendship, and death from such a simple little book. Of all the things this book has taught me,three stand out to me the most. One very valuable lesson I learned from the book was about aging. Morrie says “All younger people should know something. If you’re always battling against getting older, you’re always going to be unhappy, because it will happen anyhow.” In todays world aging is considered badm and something you should be ashamed of. From Morrie I learned that if you always fight against it you can never be truely happy. He taught me that fighting the inevitable is pointless and will cause you to spend your entire life unhappy if you allow it to. Morrie taught me that aging is something that should excite people because aging means knowledge, and you can never obtain too much knowledge. Another very valuable life lesson I was taught from reading about Morrie was about how to be satisfied with your life. Morrie says that “There’s a big confusion in this country over what we want versus what we need. You need food, you want a chocolate sundae.” He tells us that “…you don’t get satisfaction from those things…” From this quote I learned that no matter how much you want things and act like you’ll die without them, you can survive so long as you have what you need. I was taught that I don’t have to have the best of everything, all I have to have is what I need. I learned how to be more greatful for the things I have and to stop yearning for the things that I want. One of the most valuable lessons I learned overall was about death. Morrie said that “As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away. All the love you created is still there. All the memories are still there. You live on- in the hearts of everyone you have touched while you were here.” I believe that everyone is afraid of being forgotten after they die. From reading this book I was taught that so long as I show love to those around me before I die I can live forever. I realized that all of my family and friends that I have lost never really went away, and that they never really will. It’s a very calming thought to know that when I die I’ll never have to leave the world completely. When I was given the assignment I was dreading reading this book. I assumed it was going to be just another book I was assigned to get a grade. I never imagined I would have learned so much about life from someone I’ve never even met. I was entirely please with the book, and I anticipate reading it again in the future. I hope everyone has the chance to read it and learn what I’ve been given the opportunity to learn from the life and death of Morrie Schwartz.

Pin It on Pinterest