Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Kconley3

In my English 101 class, we have recently been required to read the book Tuesdays With Morrie. I’ve never been one to enjoy reading. But, I have really enjoyed reading this book. It has changed the way I view life. “Mitch, I don’t allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that’s all. ” This quote really got to me. Here’s this man, dying with a horrible disease, and there’s so many people in this world who have the slightest problems and they feel so sorry for themselves and want everyone else to feel sorry for them as well. This has taught me that we need to put a limit of self-pity each day, and move on. “Mitch, it is impossible for the old not to envy the young. But the issue is to accept who you are and revel in that. This is your time to be in your thirties. I had my time to be in my thirties, and now is my time to be seventy-eight. You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue.” Before reading this book, I never really put much thought into when older people say, “Only if I were seventeen again.” They had the chance to live their life as being young, so if they truly lived it out they wanted to, they wouldn’t regret it and envy the young now that they’re older. We need to live for what is happening, not for what happened yesterday. “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” People have the wrong impression of life, being to busy doing things to please themselves, instead of focusing on the most important ones around them. If all of us would devote ourselves to these things, we would live in a much better place. We all need to be involved in our community and give to others. This book has definitely changed my views on life for the better. It’s made me appreciate the little things I never have before. It has showed me to never take anything I have for granted.

Pin It on Pinterest