Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Kaylin_P

A few weeks ago my English 101 teacher told us that we were going to be reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I usually hate being assigned books from teachers, because the books are usually something for the class to just read, take a test, and be done with. But our teacher, Ms. Brock, has sense and knows we shouldn’t go through life without reading this book.There are many different quotes, lines, even whole paragraphs that many people in the world can relate to. One of my favorite, from many is; “I had grown used to thinking readers somehow needs my column. I was stunned at how easily things went on without me.” For me this quote means not to be so wrapped up in your own life. That you don’t need to be doing something every five minutes, but to focus upon what or whom you love. Don’t be bothered by the small things that you can go on living without. Another quote is, “Mitch, I don’t allow myself anymore self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that’s all.” I took Morrie’s words as; don’t walk around focused on the negatives. Of course don’t ignore the negative, that won’t make it go way. Go through life living doing the most you can, not screaming “yolo” then doing something out of pure ignorance. Do what you love to do while you can still do it. If you only go through life focusing on the negatives that’s all your life will be. You’ll just be an empty shell full of regrets.My final quote that I’d like to share my opinion on would be, “. . . you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel.” In my opinion this is one of the very best quotes in the book. It reminds me of when we were little kids, scared to death by something but squeezing our eyes shut until we weren’t scared anymore. Everyone at some point in life has to do something that scares them, for me it’s my public speaking class. I know I can’t have my eyes closed while delivering a speech, but I can trust my classmates to not laugh at me for making my nervous mistakes. By taking this class it is slowly taking away my fear and showing me that people can be trusted and I don’t have to be scared.With everything said, I have learned a lot from Tuesdays with Morrie. I feel like it was really an eye opener for me and all of my classmates. Be sides the quotes I mentioned there are so many things that you and Morrie said that can really effect people. The many different subjects that were discussed in the book are amazing. I feel like no one should go through life without this book somewhere in their home. This book should be nicknamed “The Guide to a Great Life.” All you need to do is remember Morrie’s aphorisms, and you can live a wonderful life.

Pin It on Pinterest