Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

In my college class we have recently read Tuesdays with Morrie. I am a very avid reader, so I usually enjoy most of the books that I pick up. This one though, I must say has been one of my very favorites. Usually books are senseless and teach you very little. This has been one that will stick with me the rest of my life because of the many lessons it has taught me. The first lesson, I learned was based off of the quote, “Mitch, I don’t allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that’s all.” This really changed the way I view my life, and the self-pity I have for myself. It’s so easy to get caught up in certain circumstances and allow yourself to drown in distress. I find this funny, because most of the things the people my age get so upset about are very small problems compared to the problems most of the world are faced with. When I apply this quote to my life, I realize that thinking this way makes life and the challenges I am faced with on a daily basis less stressful. I allow myself a little time in the morning to have this self-pity, and then I move on. This really just makes my days brighter and a lot better overall. The second lesson I have learned is to not only worry about myself, but to put others first. To devote myself to many things besides worrying about “me,me,me”. From reading this book a certain quote really stuck out that really made me think about how I am living in my life. This quote was, “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” It really makes you want to live a meaningful life and be sure you’re fufilling your purpose. Lastly, one of the most important lessons this book has taught me is that having too much pride will get you no where. The quote “…if you’re trying to show off for people at the top, forget it. They will look down on you anyhow. And if you’re trying to show off for people at the bottom, forget it. They will only envy you. Status will get you nowhere. Only an open heart will allow you to float equally between everyone.” I feel like this is something that everyone should try to live by. Everyone desires to be accepted by society. Showing off, as the quote says will only make people look down on you or envy you. Having an open heart though will help us to be equal with everyone and give and recieve love much easier. To be honest, I could keep on going with the many lessons I have learned from reading this book. Morrie has had such a huge impact on my life and the way I live it. As a teenager it’s very easy to look at life and think “I have so much time”. Morrie has taught me the value of everyday and making the most of it as a whole. I’m very glad I have read it, because it is something I will always remember considering the many things it has taught me.

Pin It on Pinterest