Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

I just recently completed my first read of Tuesdays with Morrie in my English 101 class. I’ve never really been an advid reader because I’ve always been forced to read books in school whether they interested me or not. Ever since, I’ve always dreaded reading books assigned by my teachers along with the pressure to complete them by certain deadlines. I am very bad for procrastinating, so I’ve always struggled to complete books in the time frame that I’m allowed. However, with this book, I had no problem. With most books I usually can’t wait until I can close them to never see or read again. But, with Tuesdays with Morrie, I couldn’t put it down. I could read it over & over & never get tired of it. This book was a very inspiring read & it’s already got me wanting to change my life for the better & “learn how to live.”There were many quotes from this book that got me thinking & inspired me the most. One of them is “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” This quote really got me thinking about my own life. Do I have a purpose? Do I have meaning in my life? What am I doing to give it purpose & meaning? The more I thought about it, I realized that I really couldn’t answer those questions honestly & be able to say yes & give examples of how I’m fulfilling my life’s purpose. It made me rethink a lot of things & want to change my life so I’ll be able to answer those questions & tell you what I do to give my life purpose & meaning. Now, that is the new path that I’m on. The path to change. The path to meaning. The path to purpose. Another inspirational quote from the book is “Well, for one thing, the culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. We’re teaching the wrong things. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it. Create your own. Most people can’t do it.” This really stood out to me because of the amount of truth in it. It’s all true. Society does not accept everyone. They judge people by things that shouldn’t define who they are. I’m one of those people that if I listened to what society said about me, I would be offended & have hurt feelings. I don’t try to fit in. I try to be my own person. I don’t worry about what other people think of me because the most important opinion of me is my own & what I think about myself. If I went by society’s judgement of me, I probably wouldn’t think much of myself. Sometimes, in the back of my head, I hear the negative things that society is saying about me. Most of the time I ignore it, but sometimes I listen to what they say & I let it get to me. I was even at a point where I was letting it get to me recently, until I read this book & saw this quote. It reminded what I had always believed before, that I’m my own person & that I don’t need to be listening to these wrong “teachings.” I am one of the strong ones &, for me, the culture doesn’t work, so I don’t buy it. A third & final quote that I will conclude with that I made very strong meaning of as well is “I thought about all the people I knew who spent many of their waking hours feeling sorry for themselves. How useful it would be to put a daily limit on self-pity. Just a few tearful minutes, then on with the day.” I felt like this quote was directly calling me out because I have realized that I am one of those people who just spend a lot of time feeling sorry for them self. It made me think a lot about how I spend my time. I’m not very content with my life & maybe it’s because I spend so much time feeling sorry for myself & saying “oh woe is me.” I thought about what I could do to change that & maybe try to find myself being a lot happier than what I am. I’ve decided to take Morrie’s advice & do what he did. I will put a limit on my self pity for the things that I’m going through that I think I don’t deserve. Just because we have it hard sometimes, doesn’t mean we have to let those things overpower our lives. I will overcome the things I’m going through now & also those things I will be faced with in the future. I will not feel sorry for myself & if I do, it will only be for a moment. This book has really made a major impact on my life. I don’t think any book could compare to how amazing this one is. It has touched my heart on so many levels & has already had a positive influence on my life. It has given me a better perspective on everything & has taught me to have a more positive attitude & look at the brighter side of every negative situation. This book has been life altering for me. I will always carry with me what I’ve learned from it. Even though Morrie may be gone from this world, he still continues to teach like he wanted to. He really deserves the title of “Life’s Greatest Teacher.” Now, I am confident that my life will be better & have more meaning & I have Morrie Schwartz & Mitch Albom to thank for that.

Pin It on Pinterest