Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Recently in my Enflish 101 class My classmates and I were required to read “Tuesdays With Morrie.” Not only did I find the book enjoyable to read, which is hard to come by in a reading assignment, but. I found a book that I not only enjoyed, but one I learned from. A book that challenged me to think in new ways, especially on contraversal ideas that our society ignores or over looks. This book made meaning to my life and has made me step back and look at things from a different perspective. There are two quotes that made a special impact to me that’d I’d like to share and briefly elaborate on. “The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to you community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” This quote taught me to not be selfish. We as people today are so self centerd. All we care about is the futherment of ourselves and are so self obsessed we forgot how to love each other. If we live our lives for ourselves what purpose do we serve? Love is the only way to happiness. It cannot be found in money or riches. Self worth or personal gain. Happiness can only be fond in love which has to be given or received from the people around you. If loving people is what gives life meaning and purpose then above all, devote yourself to love. Or in better words: “Love each other or die.””We’re so wrapped up with egotistical things, career, family, having enough money, meeting the mortgage, getting a new car, fixing the radiator when it breaks…” Where’s the life in all that? We as people are so viciously obsessed with materialistic things that we’re forgetting what life really is. There’s laughs to be had, flowers to smell, music to enjoy, dances to dance, opportunities to seize, experiences to experience. There is so much more to life than a paycheck or the latest IPhone. We as a people are forgetting how to live. This quote reminded me that material objects aren’t what make life and also how I need to learn to live. Not the way my culture tells me to, but in a way that makes me truly happy. These are just two of the many quotes that made meaning to me. Morrie is most definitely continuing to teach even in death. His words of wisdom have given me a real sense ofr eality, showing me what’s really important in life, not this haze of beliefs and ideas our culture operates in. I hope that this book can go on to teach, help, and inspire others like it has done me. One of the finest works of literature I’ve had to read. Love each other or die. – Matt Sawyers.

Pin It on Pinterest