Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie Reply To: Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie was a very inspirational, life changing book for me. This book did so much more than just capture my attention. It has taught me so many life lessons, and made me realize what I had always taken for granted before. This book captured my heart. All of Morrie’s aphorisms were simply amazing, but there were a few that really stood out to me. “The truth is, once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” This quote really caught my attention. So many people today are afraid of death. Just the word “death” used to terrify me. However, if you look past all of the depression and fear that comes with death and just accept it – you learn how to live. You learn the true value of life, to appreciate things more, not take anything for granted and live every day like it’s your last. If everyone would live by this, we would live such happier lives. Another quote by Morrie that really stood out to me was, “I give myself a good cry if I need it, but then I concentrate on all good things still in my life.” I absolutely love this quote. Here’s Morrie, with a terrible disease that is slowly taking his life away from him, yet he is still looking at the positives in such a terrible situation. This just shows no matter how horrible a situation is, if you’re on death role, or simply having a bad day, there are positives. You just have to find them. I’ve learned to always focus on all good things still in my life. How blessed I truly am to have such amazing people surrounding me, to have a roof over my head, everything. Simple things matter the most.One last quote that really stood out to me was, “Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent… But detachment doesn’t mean you don’t let the experience penetrate you. On the contrary, you let it penetrate you fully. That’s how you are able to leave it…You’re afraid of the pain, you’re afraid of the grief… But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. “Alright, I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.” I was truly speechless the moment I read this. I’ve never looked at emotions in such an amazing perspective until now. Personally, I’m guilty of ignoring and being afraid of my emotions. I don’t allow myself to dive into them, and experience them fully and completely. From refusing to allow myself to do this, I’ve learned that it only causes more pain and suffering. I’ve learned to be more open about my emotions, and detach myself from them. I’ve learned to say, “OK, this is sadness. I recognize this emotion. Now I need to detach from this emotion and move on.” It was extremely hard for me to choose just three quotes from this book, but I love the ones I chose. After reading Tuesdays with Morrie, I feel like I know Morrie. He has made such an impact on my life. I’m very thankful to have read this book. The lessons I have learned are lessons that I will remember forever. This book was truly one of the most beautiful and touching books I’ve ever read. Thank you, Mitch, for sharing such an amazing story.

Pin It on Pinterest