Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Ally

Recently, my English 101 class began reading Tuesadays with Morrie. Morrie Schwartz was made famous by his aphorisms about life, and a few of them really connected to me.
“Love wins. Love always wins.” p.40 I absolutley love this statement. It has proven to be true for me over and over again. As a female high school student, alot of drama and confrontation comes my way, we all know how us girls are. I have always heard the saying, “kill them with kindness,” and that can be so hard to do. I used to think that that was a simple minded statement, until I tried it. When you show people love, whether they give it back or not, it definitely benefits you. My life has been a whole lot quieter since I took this saying literally. Morrie had the right idea in mind.
“Accept the past as the past, without denying it or discarding it.” p.18 This was another quote that I felt like I had some experience with. In my life there have been some things that I wish I had never done or never gotten myself into. For along time, I regreted those things and wished that I had been smarter about them. After I read this quote and looked deeper into the meaning, I realized that Morrie was right. Those experiences got me to where I am today and without them, I would not be the person I am today. I would not trade anything for the lessons those experiences taught me and honestly, they benefited me in the end.
“…….. if it isn’t the family.” p.91 Out of all of these quotes, this one is my favorite. I have such a close bond with my family. They are like my security blanket. Any problems I face or successes I have, I share with them. If I did not have them I do not know where I would be. I think Morrie summed up my relationship with my family in one quote.
“Love each other or perish.” p.91 This was the last comment that I felt like hit home with me. When I get upset or frustrated with my family or friends, and I go for a while not speaking to them or disliking them, I begin to feel very lonely and distant. If we do not love one another, we will never be happy. We will never feel love in return. I think we would lose ourselves if love was not part of our lives. I think Morrie knew this and was thankful that he had love and the knowledge to give and recieve it during his last days.
Those were the aphorisms that I have fallen in love with so far. I’m sure they’ll be many more and I can’t wait to finish this book.

Pin It on Pinterest