Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

My English 101 class recently started reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I absolutely love the book. There are so many life lessons in it and such a deep connection between two people; I don’t see how somebody couldn’t like it. There are so many good quotes and aphorisms in Tuesdays with Morrie. It’s hard to choose only a few, but here are some of my favorites.
“Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it.” (p. 18). I love this quote. I accept the past as past because there is nothing you can do to change it. What I have done in the past, whether I regret it or not, has made me who I am today. I have learned to learn from my mistakes because they can’t be taken back. I haven’t forgotten and I don’t deny my mistakes, I have learned to accept and learn from them. I think everyone should do this, otherwise they will grieve over their past for the rest of their lives and never accept it.
“. . . my visits with Morrie felt like a cleansing rinse of human kindness.” (p. 55). Have you ever talked to someone, and while you are talking to them you just feel happy and pure? I have talked to a few people like this. You just feel really happy and care free; the person is just so nice. I think this is how Mitch is feeling when he goes to visit with Morrie and I have felt the same way.
“. . . by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way . . . you experience them fully and completely.” (p. 104). This is part of one of my favorite aphorisms in the book so far. Detaching yourself from certain emotions. Now that I have read this aphorism, I realize that I have experienced many emotions. And when I experience them again I am going to recognize these emotions and hopefully I can detach myself from them, like Morrie says. I have experienced love, fear, grief, pain, and when I experience them again I am going to try to detach myself from them if I need to.
Tuesdays with Morrie is such a great book. I look at life in a new perspective everyday because of this book. I have learned so many things that I wouldn’t have if I had never started reading it. Every page has a new quote or aphorism that is just amazing. It’s hard to have a favorite when there is a new one every page! I love the book so far and I can’t wait to finish it and learn many more life lessons from Morrie Schwartz.

Pin It on Pinterest