Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Recently, my English 101 class began reading Tuesdays with Morrie. The book intrigued me from the very start and easily captured my attention. Many people today overlook or easily forget the perspectives Morrie had on life. One of my favorite perspectives that Morrie shared was “…if you accept that you can die at any time-then you might not be as ambitious as you are.” (pg 83) This is something that many people find hard to accept. So many value their lives through terms of accomplishments and not based on love and compassion. This quote reminds me of what is really worth striving for in life. That it’s not about rankings, or your status, or your reputation, but rather about the legacy you leave behind.Another perspective I found to be very meaningful was “People haven’t found meaning in their lives, so they’re running around all the time looking for it.” (pg 136) I completely agree with this, because sometimes the future can seem more important than the present. What could happen in the future seems more exciting than what is happening in the present, and so many forget that what they are experiencing only lasts once. Life was meant to be relished and not rushed. “If you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too-even when you are in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” (pg 61) Trust is an essential part of a relationship. Without it, your relationship means nothing. This reminds me of how important it is to build relationships with people you trust- that those relationships are the ones that will last and prove to be worth it.A quote that Morrie said in the book was, “Dying is only one thing to be sad over…living unhappily is something else.” (pg 35) I love this quote, because so many feel they have unhappy lives, and when they realize they have it better off than someone else, they experience a moment of gratefulness. But another moment passes, and they feel as they did before. Life was never meant to measured to a standard. Life is simply what you make of it, and if you focus on everything that makes you unhappy, your life will resemble that.These are only a few perspectives from this book that I love. Morrie’s aphorisms are full an exuberance for life. I really appreciate this book and the truth it holds in it.

Pin It on Pinterest