Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

For the past few weeks my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie. This book has been such an inspiration to me. I am really not the type to read at all, but this book has touched me in so many ways. Here are a few of my thoughts on this book.
I love the part on page 12 when Morrie went to the funeral of one of his colleagues. He was so upset that his colleague didn’t get to hear any off the kind words his friends and family were saying about him. Morrie decided to have his own funeral. This is one of the neatest things I have ever heard. People never express how much they care about someone until that someone is dead. By this time, it is too late. I think that this is a great idea. I hope that many other people has been encouraged the way I have been by this thought. Especially those who know for a fact that they will die soon. After reading this part of this book, I think that many people should have ” living funerals”. I believe that if I ever get into a situation where I know that I am going to die, I will have a living funeral of my own.
On pages 103 and 104 Morrie says ” Take any emotion… If you hold back on the emotions- if you don’t allow yourself to go all the way through them- you can never get to being detached, you’re too busy being afraid… But by throwing yourself into these emotions… You experience them fully and completely”. I believe this is one of the most intelligent ideas I have ever heard. To experience an emotion, know what it is, then detach yourself from it. I would have never in a millon years thought of something like that. Now that I haveread this book, I tell myself when I am stressing over a test or something that it is only stress. By doing this, I literally calm myself down and I get stress free in seconds. I also experience the good emotions to the fullest. When i am happy, I don’t think about being let down or dissappointed. I just let myself be as happy as i can be, and not worrying about being let down.
On page 119, Morrie is talking to Mitch. He tells him that Mitch himself is going to die eventually. This is a bold, yet very true statement. everyone on the planet know that they are going to die one day. everyone knows that they will not live forever on this earth. But no one really believes it. Not until the day they are on their death bed. This may be hard to believe, but it is the truth. Everyday, people do stupid, death defying things. People Sky dive. People ride four-wheelers. People drink alcohol and do drugs knowing that it can take precious time off of their only life. If people truly believed that they were gonna die, they would do more things to protect their bodies.

Pin It on Pinterest