Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

My English class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie and I thought for sure that I wouldn’t like it. I hate non-fictions and I was scared that this would be one of those books that I would just give up on. Mitch, I was wrong! Morrie really has touched my life. . This book has been the best reading of my life. Morrie has changed my complete perspective on living with his aphorisms.
“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let love come in.” (pg. 52) This has truly taken an effect on me. Something happened in my life within the past year that led me to believe loving someone would never come easily to me anymore. I started reading Morrie and when I got to this part of the book I paused and thought about this for a while. In order for someone to love me again, I had to love first. I had to learn how to love again. This helped me with the problem I had been struggling with recently.
“Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too – even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” (p.61) Morrie makes such a good point here. If you don’t allow someone to trust you, you can’t ever trust them. You have to just close your eyes and have faith within yourself that you can believe what you feel. Don’t worry about what you see. Morrie has got me believing what I feel.
“…If you don’t have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don’t have much at all. Love is so supremely important.” (pg. 91) It’s true that if you have no family support then you have nothing. Without my family, I’m afraid I would have never succeeded in school as well as I have now. My parents have pushed me and supported me fully in everything I have ever done. Without their concern, I’m afraid I would not be as strong of a person as I am now. The love that I have received from them has been very important in my life. Morrie really knew what he was talking about when he said this.
“… by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely…’Alright. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion…” (pg. 104) This is one of my favorites. We go through so many emotions in life that we never realize that we can actually detach ourselves from them. We just hit the emotion full fledge. After reading this, I noticed that a lot of my heartaches could be avoided the second time around if I would have just detached myself from that emotion. Anger, pain, and heartbreak are common. If I would have read this book sooner, I would have taken back a lot of my emotions wasted. I could have been living life to the fullest if only I would have detached myself for just a moment.
This book is one of the best reads so far of my life. I will continue reading this to the very last word on the very last page. Mitch, you and Morrie have changed my life’s perspective on everything. The way you set up the book, if I ever had a question about anything in my life, I can turn to the chapter where you and Morrie talked about it on a Tuesday.

Pin It on Pinterest