Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Stacey

My English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie and I love it! I have started to look at life in a whole new way thanks to reading the story of Morrie. Almost everything that he says really hits home with just about everyone. He is so inspirational, so blunt, and just so right. He seems to just have all the answers that we’re looking for.
One of my favorite quotes from the book would have to be on the bottom of page 43 in italics. “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. . . The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” Wow. That’s so true, in my life; I have wasted so much time doing things because those things were important to other people, like my family or my friends; but not to me. Morrie’s right, the way to have a fulfilling and meaningful life is to do things that give your life purpose. Don’t just base your whole life on reaching the goals that will make everyone around you happy, spend your life reaching the goals that give YOU purpose and make YOU happy.
Another quote that I just love is on page 18 and it says “Learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others”. For me personally, that is one of the hardest things to do. I’ve never been able to just say “Yeah, I messed up. Oh well, I forgive myself.” I’ve always just spent all kinds of time analyzing every detail of what was wrong until I got tired of it and just quit thinking about it. I never let it go. I never really forgave myself or the other person; I just pushed it all away. The problem with that is sometimes it just creeps back up. Forgiveness is important, and Morrie knew that, and he wanted us to know that.
On page 118 when Morrie and Mitch are talking about envy, Morrie says “It’s very simple. As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed at twenty-two, you’d always be as ignorant as you were at twenty-two. Aging is not just decay . . . It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die . . . it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.” I really like this whole entire section of the book. To me, it means that even if you’re aging or dying you should find the best in that. You should live your life even more, don’t sulk and just waste you’re last little bit of time sad. Go out, make a difference, and do what makes you happy. Do things you’ve always wanted to do. Aging and death will happen no matter what, just understand that and half of the battle is won.

Pin It on Pinterest