Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Bamag015

Recently, my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdasy with Morrie. At first I didn’t think it would be good, but as I read the book more my thoughts changed. I always look for quotes on the internet, but now I look up quotes in this book. Morrie’s words are inspirational to me and I’m thankful to Mitch for writing this.
“Dying is only one thing to be sad over…Living unhappily is something else.” (p. 35). I thought this quote had a lot of meaning in it. So many people today do pointless things that they don’t like. They think they want money or the biggest house, but in truth they won’t be happy with it. If you’re not happy with how your life is going, then you’re not really living at all. Life will become something of a job to you. Who would want that? Why not live happily and then when you do feel like you’re dying you won’t be unsatisfied. Morrie taught me that none of those things really matter. I sure don’t want to die feeling unsatisfied.

“Accept the past as the past, without denying it or discarding it.” (p. 18). This quote meant the most to me I believe because it’s the truest. The past is the past. No matter how hard you try you can’t change it. The only choice is to accept it and not forget. If you try to forget about it, you could end up doing the same things again. I think of them as lessons. The things in my past helped shape me into whom I am today. Without the mistakes, heartbreaks, or joy, I don’t know who I would be. It’s a part of life, so suck it up and move on. I want to look forward to the future not live in the past.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” (p. 52). This quote that Morrie says is the hardest for me to follow. I’m not the type to open up to people, and that means it’s hard for me to open up my heart as well. I’m alright with giving out love. That is no problem to me at all; I like to do it actually. But I don’t take well into letting it come in. I don’t reject people when they’re nice or trying to love me, but I also don’t let them close to my heart. There are so many things that could go wrong and no one likes the feelings of betrayal. However, on the other hand no one wants to be alone. And I admit that what I’m doing is nothing more than an illusion. I’m still reading this book and Morrie’s words make me want to try. Though it will be difficult. (:

“A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” (p.79). This quote by Henry Adams makes me think of Morrie. How many people has his words touched thanks to Mitch? I’ve never met Morrie, but in a way it feels like I know him. Morrie is an amazing teacher and an even more amazing person. I know I will never forget him. Thank you again for writing Tuesdays with Morrie. (:

Pin It on Pinterest