Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Recently my English 101 class has been reading the book “Tuesdays With Morrie.” Personally, I think this book is amazing! I love it! Morrie is so interesting and the things he says really touch me deeply. The way he fights his disease and more importantly keeps a positive outlook about the whole thing and life in general is very inspiring. Throughout this book he says a few things that really stand out, sayings that really make me think and kind of hit close to home. Not just in my life but issues in my mind and heart as well.

One thing that Morrie says that really speaks to me is on page 18. He says “Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do.” I love this quote because I think it is a statement that everyone should realize. In my life personally, I’ve always had a problem with wanting to change things that I couldn’t or things I had no control over. And when I couldn’t, I would beat myself up or blame myself for not being able to. I think people just have to learn that they cannot do everything. They can’t change everything for the good or the way that they want it. That is something I’ve had to learn the hard way and I think it is important for everyone to understand.

Another quote from Morrie that really inspires me is one yet again on page 18. He says “Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it.” I really like when he says this because it is such a helpful message that can help you in many areas of your life. I think you have to kind of let your past go and not dwell on the things that you have done wrong or mistakes that you have made. Everyone makes mistakes and to just sit and dwell on them would make you miserable. It would make anyone miserable. So instead of constantly reminding yourself of them try to just accept them for what they are. But also by not dwelling on them that doesn’t mean to just forget about them. Like Morrie says you should “accept it without denying it or discarding it” because by not forgetting , you can learn from your mistakes and prevent future ones from occurring.
The final quote that I’m going to write about that really meant something to me is on page 43. Morrie said “so many people walk around with a meaningless life…devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” This is one of the most inspirational quotes in the whole book, in my opinion. It tells how a person should devote their lives by not spending all their time on the day to day rituals that many of us fall into and to spend it the right way. Really understanding life and letting love in. I know in my life I have a day to day routine that I always follow and I almost tuned the good things in life out. When I heard this though, it has really opened me up and made me think a little. Made me consider how my life is and all the good things in it. That is why I love this quote so much.
So that is a few quotes from the book “Tuesdays with Morrie” that I have really enjoyed. This book is amazing and the things Morrie says really seem to make sense and apply in my life. I’m really happy to have been introduced to this book and I can’t wait to continue reading it in class.

Pin It on Pinterest