Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Momma17

I was introduced to Tuesdays with Morrie in my Eng. 101 Class and I have enjoyed this book so much. It’s different reading a story about the process of one’s death week to week. Seeing how every moment is worth so much. I love Morrie’s courage to share his story. I don’t think I’d ever be as open about my death as what he is. There were several quotes and aphorisms that caught my attention and made me think. So here’s just a few:
P.103 “Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent.” This says so much in the simplest of ways. It, to me, says that what you may have at one time, doesn’t mean you will have it forever. If you cling to something then it will be harder to let go in the future. If you do not cling and just take in and let go, then there is no hurt when the goodbye comes, because like Morrie says “… everything is impermanent…” Goodbye will come, and it’s best to not hang on.
P.83 “…We really don’t experience the world fully, because we’re half-asleep, doing things we automatically think we have to do.” This makes so much sense to me. It kind of opened my eyes a little when I first read it. I didn’t really realize how you could be half-asleep until I really thought about it. We do most things because we think we have to. Usually everyone has a routine. Almost all of the routines are the same. We wake up, work, pay the bills, take care of the kids, etc. After that there isn’t much else to it. Though there could be. We could do the things we want to do every now and then, instead of doing what we think we have to do. We could make it more than routine, and constantly switch things around and make life seem more worth living. Do something different take more effort, more energy. Doing the usually things takes nothing. No thought, hardly any effort, it’s just done. Hints how we are only half-asleep. Or well that’s how I see it anyways.
P.122 “Fate succumbs many a species: one alone jeopardizes itself.” –W.H Auden
This confused me a little at first. I understood how every species has a fate of its own, but the one alone? I didn’t have a clue. I thought about this quote constantly after reading. Then it slowly came together for me. One alone can make one small decision and jeopardize its fate. Change the fate to something complete opposite of before. Possibly, even change the fate to simple extinction. It’s intriguing to think about, how just one thing could change the fate of so much. How one decision could make a difference on how your fate turns out, it’s interesting isn’t it?

Pin It on Pinterest