Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

In my English 101 class, our teacher required us to read, Tuesday’s With Morrie, I was somewhat apprehensive about reading it, but once I began I could not stop! I feel privileged to be able to read about the tenderhearted, Morrie. The book had such an impact on my recent views of my own life. I feel it helped me overcome a few very intense obstacles. Morrie’s alphorisms were amazing and meaningful. I could barely narrow them down to share my thoughts on each. But the few I chose,had an extreme pull on my heart strings.
The first quote that really touched me was “Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do; accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it; learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others; don’t assume its too late.” (P.18). This meant so much to me, because high school is rough and it seems like the world we live in today sees nothing but outer appearances. I’m a simple young lady, and I am now proud of that. Like any other person, I have made mistakes in my young life and I had trouble accepting what’s done is done. After reading this, it put things into perspective for me. It’s my past, it’s a part of me, and I can only learn from it. After accepting that, I was able to forgive myself, and most important, accept myself for me.
“The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.” (p.42) This quote also was very, very special to me because, when the weight of the world is on your shoulders, it’s so hard not to give in to it. I try my best not to, but sometimes I fail. After reading, I feel that it is most defintely okay to be me, all the time, no matter what.
“Love wins. Love always wins.” (p.40) This quote is simply amazing. Five very strong words. I believe that if you do not have love in your life, you have nothing. Also, unlike many others, I abide by this belief, and I have never been proven wrong. With love, you have everything, and if you keep loving, and don’t turn away, I feel that you will win, always. In my life, I once again struggle with the weight of the world, and have constant stress, but when I think back to this wonderful quote, I keep love in the front of my mind, rather than the back, and I can pull through anything.
“If you hold back on the emotions . . . you can never get to being detached, you’re too busy being afraid.” (p.104) Since I am such an emotional person, this quote really hit home. I cry often, I cried several times throughout this book. When I’m happy, I cannot stop smiling, when I’m sad, I cannot wipe the frown off my face. To me, this quote meant that it’s okay to show your emotions, that’s why they are there. If you hold them back, you are only harming yourself. I can relate to Morrie and all of his emotions throughout the book, and feel them too. I’m so glad I was able to read this part of the book! I just feel like I’m not the only one now. It’s an amazing sensation.
I think you are an amazing author, and like I said earlier, I feel blessed to be reading about Morrie. I actually would have loved to seen him dance? After reading the book, I feel that I too, know Morrie, although I don’t, it’s a great warm feeling. I would have loved to met him, even if it was only once, it would have been one of the greatest blessings. I’m so thankful you wrote this book, because it answered the questions I have been asking myself for months. I now have more confidence, dignity, compassion, and respect for myself. Thanks Mitch!

Pin It on Pinterest