Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

SkyI

I am so fortunate that I and my English 101 class have had the opportunity to read Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. This book has most defiantly had an effect on me and my outlook on life, throughout the book I’ve learned that no matter what happens in your life, you always need to take time to look at the simple things in life and don’t get caught up with everything in today’s world. Make every moment last and surround yourself with people that you love and people that love you.
“Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it.” (p.18) This quote is defiantly in my top five of my favorite quotes in this entire book. You always have to accept your past, because there is nothing you can do to change it. Everything that has happened in my past has made me who I am today, yes, there are some things in my past that I regret, but everything I do wrong, I learn from it and it makes me a better person today. If you don’t accept your past, all you’re going to do is just set and mourn for yourself, but if you do accept it and learn from it, it will make you a better person in the long run.
“Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. … you must feel that you can trust them, too-even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” (p.61) This quote really hit me hard with my trust issues. Of course I’ve done this exercise numerous times but I’ve never done it as Morrie explains it. In order for someone to trust you, you have to put your trust in them, even when you’re in the dark, even when you’re falling. With this exercise you learn how to fully put your trust in someone by having save you instead of them just you fall.
“He was standing on the tracks, listening to death’s locomotive whistle,…” (p.65,66) To me, this quote not only explains actually how close Morrie was to death, but how death stood in his life. Picture it, you standing next to a set of train tracks, hearing the whistle, from what it seems like a million miles away, then you hear it getting closer and closer until it’s right in front of you getting ready to blow you away with its mighty winds. This explains how Morrie was dealing with ALS in his life since he was diagnosed. First it seems like his time is “forever” away, but then he realizes it’s coming closer. He can’t exactly tell when his time is, but he knows it that its coming, coming soon.
“Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” (p.82) This quote right here, I could probably say is my favorite in this book. Although I’ve never exactly “learned how to die”, as Morrie puts it, I completely understand what he is saying. Once you’ve figured out how you’re going to die, you start to realize that every little moment counts no matter how “little” it may seem and you find out that you have to make the best of everything in your life, because everything in your life, won’t be there forever.
These are just a handful of my all-time favorite quotes from Morrie Schwartz and I can’t wait to learn so more cause I know there will be many more to come. I can’t wait to read Mitch Albom’s other books, I know that they will be just incredibly awesome as my new favorite book, Tuesdays with Morrie.

Pin It on Pinterest