Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Recently my English class has been assigned to read the book Tuesdays with Morrie. I was less than ecstatic about this prospect as I’m not very fond of non-fiction, and required school reading is usually not very interesting. I must say that the book is better than I first expected it to be, however I’m not especially crazy about it. Unfortunately I have been assigned to give my personal thought on some quotes from the book which is a very difficult task for an emotionally and socially introverted person like me. Oh well, so it goes. One part of the book that I did feel was connected to me was actually a run of thoughts that Mitch was having, “I spent so many hours on things that meant absolutely nothing to me personally: movie stars, supermodels… Why did we bother with all the distractions we did? Back home, the O.J. Simpson trial was in full swing, and there were people who surrendered their entire lunch hours watching it… They didn’t know O. J. Simpson. They didn’t know anyone involved in the case. Yet they gave up days and weeks of their lives, addicted to someone else’s drama.(P.42)” This sort of thing has always perplexed me. Obviously there are many celebrities who are famous for their great work and it’s interesting to learn about them, however, it has always seemed strange to me that so many people immerse themselves so fully in the lives of celebrities. Many of these people are famous for nothing more than their family relations or crimes they’ve committed, yet people will spend countless hours watching special reports, reading articles, and searching for interviews for these people that should mean nothing to them. I can’t help but feel that this time could be better spent given to a loved one, helping others, striving for self-improvement, or at least researching celebrities who are famous for their great ideas or historical significance rather than their personal troubles. It’s sad that we live in a world that actually to encourage this line of thinking, to me this obsession with the lives of famous people seems to stem from societies own insecurities and one’s regret for how unsatisfied they are with their own life, so they delve into the more eventful lives of famous people to compensate for the emptiness. If I remember correctly, Morrie says something somewhat similar to this in his and Mitch’s discussion of youth.I apologize that I only discussed one quote, and that it was a rather odd one considering how many beautiful aphorisms Morrie has, but discussing any of these would have required me to be more emotional and personal which I’m not willing to do.

Pin It on Pinterest