Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

ZachDixon

Recently my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I dont really read that often, but I really like this book. It has tought me a lot about death. Mainly not to die a sad death, but to live while you are dieing. I know it sounds corney but its true. Because if you find out that you only have so long to live. Why spend the entire time dreading what is coming, when you can try and live what time you have left to the fullest? So by saying that, here are some of my favorite quotes from the book Tuesdays with Morrie.One of my favorite quotes is “How can I be envious of where you are , when I’ve been there myself?” You can find this on page 121.This is most definitaly one of my favorite quotes in the whole book. The reason I really like this is because he is saying that, all the time people are always saying to themselves “I wish I could go back to the old days”, but why would you want to do that? You have already had your time to be a kid, you have already had your time to be in highschool, you have already had your time to have children. So why go back? You have already had your time to do all of those things, so live where you are right now and dont live in the past. I really agree with this because I also would never go back to change anything… Ive had my time there.Another one of my favorite quotes is “It’s horrible to watch my body… I get to say good-bye. Not everyone is so lucky.” You can find this on page 57.This quote inspires me a lot. Because through the whole book he never seems sad at all about his disease. I mean of course he would rather not have to go through all of this, but he never (so far) has really been depressed about it. But once again instead of self-loathing all the time he has decided to make the best of his time left to live. And he is completely right… Some people die a sudden death and they never get to say goodbye to theyre loved ones. But Morrie on the other hand does, he gets all of this time that the doctor has gave him to live to tell everyone that he knows and loves, goodbye. And that is amazing to me. Instead of hating everything that has happened to him, he is doing the opposite of what most people would do, and that is taking advantage of the situation.And finally, my favorite quote in the entire book. It is when Morrie is doing his first interview with Ted Koppel and in that interview Ted asks Morrie what he dreaded most about having a slow and coming death, and Morrie asked if he could say this on television. Ted told him it was fine, and Morrie replied with this “Well, Ted, one day soon, someone’s gonna have to wipe my ass.” I know, I know, most people would say that im just a teenager that thinks this line is funny because he cusses in a book that im reading in my English 101 class, but to be honest, this quote means a lot to me. Because to me this is saying that out of all of the things that are going on in his life this is the least that he is worried about. I mean the doctor just had told him that he pretty much has an expiration date. Yet he is only worried about someone having to wipe his butt.I think that Morrie is an amazing individual. After reading as far as I have in this book, I am very sad and dissapointed that I never got the privalige to meet him. I know that if I did meet Morrie that I would be a much better person because he has so many amazing life lessons and they are just amazing.So those are my favorite quotes in the book Tuesdays with Morrie. I hoped you liked them because I know I did! And if you havnt had a chance to read this book… GO OUT AND GET IT! This book is definatly worth the money.

Pin It on Pinterest