Reply To: Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts Reply To: Thoughts

Recently in my English 101 class our professor assigned us to read Tuesdays with Morrie. I am by no means an avid reader, however I found myself with the inability to put the book down. Morrie was such a fascinating with so much wisdom. It seemed as if everything he said was profoundly inspirational. Some examples of some of the quotes that really moved me were:
“…you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too…” (pg.61) A truer statement has never been said. I personally have a connection with this, because as a multi-sport athlete I have found that a blind trust in others is neccessary, especially in times of fear and doubt. But it’s not just that way with sports. Morrie shows us that to have the full expierence of life you must build relationships with people, but in those relationships there must be a sense of trust from both people that one will trust theirself as well as the other to make the right descions to prevent harmfrom happening to the other. Just as Morriw showed in his expieriment.
“Love is how you stay alive, even after your gone.” (pg.133) This really made me think critically about my life. What have I done to affect those around me? What will I be remembered for? Granted, for the time being, I am still an 18 year old high school student with the rest of my life to live, but if I am going to live eternally in the hearts and minds of others, it would probably be a good idea to start making my everlasting impact on people today and not wait until it is too late. It also shows how powerful love can be. Love is the reason why people live. It is what we seek in everything we do, and it is those who display the most and the least amount of love that are remembered the most for the things they did (like Jesus and Hitler, Jesus showed love to everyone and Hitler showed no love to anyone, but both are legends of their own time).
“We… need to forgive ourselves… For all the things we didnt do. All the things we should have done. You can’t get stuck on the regrets of what should have happened.” (pg. 166) I love this. None of us are perfect, and there are always going to be things we wish we would have done differently, but like Morrie stresses to us in the book, we are all human and we should embrace it. If we cling to all this unneccessary regret and focus too much on the past, then we will become complacent and live our lives trapped in a never-ending cycle of misery, regreting everything we didnt do when we dont realize we are wasting time those very moments worry about something they cannot change (the past) when they could be out making new life-long wonderful memories.
Thanks Mr. Albom for the chance to read an extraordinary piece about a truly amazing man. I feel like when he told you that you were one of the good ones, I couldnt agree more, but from where I’m standing you are also one of the luckiest ones of all. He was one of the great ones, amongst the likes of Vince Lombardi and Martin Luther King Jr. just to a different audience presented in a different way.

Pin It on Pinterest