Favorite Aphorisms

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Favorite Aphorisms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ErikGleba

In the memoir, Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, Morrie Schwartz wrote on little post-it notes creating aphorisms. An aphorism is an observation that contains a general truth. “Love each other, or perish” is an aphorism that is meaningful to me. In other words, this aphorism means that we have to love one another in order to have meaning in our lives. When someone dies, then we know the true meaning of loving someone. Relating this to my grandmother when she died, I realized not to take anything for granted anymore because with a blink of an eye my loved ones can perish. Not only did I manage it, but also realized to love family everyday. Basically, this quote encourages me to love my loved ones. You’re not living unless your are loving, and if you’re not living then you are perished.

Keller

If there’s one thing that we know from reading the book Tuesdays With Morrie, it’s that Morrie Schwartz was inspirational in both the actions he took and the words he spoke. Throughout the book there are a myriad of inspirational sayings or aphorisms that Morrie leaves us with before the end of the book. Probably the aphorism that resonated with me would be, “devote yourself to what gives you meaning”. I believe this lesson may be the one most worthy of note; as I feel like this saying should be more prominent in society now. People get caught up in how to make the most money in as little time as possible, and maybe it doesn’t start out that way, but it eventually does degrade to that. After all, none of us were in elementary school thinking, “I wonder what course I should take to end up with the most money.” Of course when we were kids we did have seemingly impossible life goals, but that’s why compromise without giving away all our childlike ambitions. Find what makes you happy and devote yourself to that happiness. At least if you do that you can live without regret.

Maenerz

Are you content with being yourself? Physically old, Morrie Schwartz from Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom is dying and happily coping with it. There are multiple aphorisms in the book that Mitch Albom shares from his dying friend Morrie. “Accept who you are and revel in it” is something that Morrie strongly believes. As a result, believing in oneself and being pleased with oneself begins confidence in one’s life. Although I don’t like everything about myself, I look for the great qualities that I own. Not only do I like who I am, but also I try not to be negative about myself. Whoever accepts his life and creates positive energy will be highly successful.

Cmadia11

Colin Madia 5/12/14

“The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.” Morrie Schwartz

Have you ever learned something life changing in your life? Well, Mitch Albom, the author of Tuesdays with Morrie learned many different life changing lessons from his extraordinary college professor, Morrie Schwartz. There is one aphorism that Morrie told Mitch that stood out to me and that was, “The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.” When I was in middle school, all of my friends would make fun of and bully kids and after a while, I knew that it was wrong and didn’t want to be included anymore. As a result, I started to become friends with other people in high school and didn’t talk to my old friends as much. This was difficult, but was worth it because the things they were doing were not what I wanted to be a part of. Whether you change friends or change your lifestyle, never buy into a culture you don’t agree with.

Slowell

Mitch Albom wrote the memoir  Tuesdays with Morrie about his former professor and good friend Morrie Schwartz.  Knowing that he was dying, Morrie gave some good aphorisms as advice.  “Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live”  is one of the aphorisms that appealed to me (82).  After reading this aphorism, I think it means that once you find out you don’t have a lifetime to do the things you want to do, like wind surfing or snorkeling, you realize how precious time is and you have to live in the moment.  In Morrie’s case, when he found out that he was dying, he realized that spending time with his family is the way he wants to spend the rest of the days.  Actually, I can relate to this aphorism because I fear that I’m going to die everyday and I want to live every part of it.   For example, I was in a car accident with my dad  and suffered broken bones, bad gashes, and a concussion.  Not only am I going to live my life without fear, but also live my life to the fullest it can be.

Mwosnjuk

Mitch Albom, author of Tuesdays with Morrie, recorded some of the world’s finest quotes while visiting his dying sociology professor.  During his visits, Albom learned various life lessons every Tuesday, one of which was love.  Whenever he could, Morrie Schwartz drilled into his former student’s head that people should “love each other, or perish.”  This aphorism is the most meaningful one to me. To love each other on both a micro and macro scale would eliminate most of our problems.

“Love each other or perish” is a quote from the memoir that means people should at least have an understanding of others and enough respect for their differences.  On a macro scale, if human beings could coexist in peace, many conflicts would not even exist, and prejudices over little unique differences would never even be fathomed. There would be no need for a solution to a “problem,” for no one would think that anyone’s particular likings, or personality, would be a conflict itself.  Not only on a global scale, but also in a family setting, people have lost communication and understanding with one another.  Realizing this struggle, couples need to reconnect with the reason as to why they came together in the first place.

Actually, my own personal experiences have been affected through love . To accept someone’s flaws or decisions is how I plan to love someone, and if not, perish.  Should differing opinions or ideas be a spark for argument, or should they be a chance for learning?

DjRiker13

Lou Gehrig’s aphorism “Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth” moved many people and gave them hope. There are many great aphorisms in the memoir Tuesdays With Morrie, but this one has a tremendous amount of meaning behind it. Even though Morrie is dying of a disease that eats his body away, he still finds the good of dying. Slowly fading, Morrie tells his old college student, Mitch Albom, all about how dying shows you how to live.For instance,Morrie tells about how he know he is the luckiest man because he has made so many friends and family who love him so dearly that he knows that he won’t die alone. Not only does Mitch come to see Morrie for a “bedside meeting” every Tuesday, but also they begin new topic every time they meet.Regardless of them being out of contact for such a long time, the first time the see each other they instantly pick up where they left off as student and professor; that is how strong everyone’s love for Morrie is.

Do you know Morrie Schwartz? Well, in the memoir Tuesday with Morrie by Mitch Albom, Mitch and his old professor Morrie meet everty Tuesday and talk about anything they want. There are many aphorisms in this memoir, but what stood out to me the most is when Morrie asked Mitch, “What if today were my last day on earth?” In other words, if we were to pass away today, did we live life like we wanted it to be and or do we have any regrets? This aphorism applies to own life because at the end of last year, my grandfather was diagnosed with the same internal disease as Morrie, ALS. Ever since he was diagnosed with ALS, I try to spend every chance I get with my grandpa because if today is his last day, I want to say everything I feel to him before he passes away. Seeing that Morrie has the same disease as my grandfather, I would like to start talking with him about anything that I could learn and would be useful to me in my life, just like Mitch and Morrie did.

Tstuttard

Whoever embraces death will enjoy the meaning of life. There is one aphorism in the memoir Tuesdays with Morrie that pertains to me and it states, “When you’re in bed you’re dead.” This means when we are in bed, we are wasting our precious lifetimes away by lying in bed doing the same thing as if we were dead. Personally, when it’s nice out I am doing something outside enjoying the fresh air or spending time with my family because when I’m dead I can’t be doing those things anymore. To enjoy life, we should get out of bed and live life to the fullest everyday because we don’t know when it will end. Intrinsically motivated, Mitch Albom ,the author, met with Morrie every Tuesday to talk about certain life topics. According to Morrie, you have to accept death because if you fear it, you fear life itself.

Who’s your Morrie in your life? In the memoir Tuesdays With Morrie written by Mitch Albom, the main character Morrie Schwartz shares his famous aphorisms with one of his good friends and past student, Mitch Albom. “Don’t let go too soon, but don’t hold on too long” is one of Morrie’s aphorisms that relates to me and my personal experiences. This aphorism means that we can have grief about something for a while, but eventually we have to move on and live the rest of our lives positively, no matter how hard it is. After my grandfather died, I went through a rough time and never thought that my grief would go away. In the meantime, I realized that he wouldn’t want me to be upset over it forever and would have wanted me to be happy. Not only did I realize that he would want me to be happy, but also that it was time for me to start living my life positively.

Rburton14

Amid the death of Morrie Schwartz in the memoir Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom has learned life lessons from his former professor. “Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it” is an aphorism that Morrie Schwartz shared with Mitch. In other words, don’t dwell on the past, but don’t ignore it either. I agree with this quote because if you dwell on the past, you will not be as focused on the present and future, but if you deny or discard the past, you shall make the same mistakes made in a previous time. Have you ever had something happen to you that you just want to forget entirely? There have been many instances in my life that I would change if I could, but in reality one must accept what has occurred and keep moving forward in life. A respectable man, Morrie Schwartz gives good advice helping those in need.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” ― Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie. This aphorism really spoke to me. Thank you Morrie.

SStodd_

“Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent,” states Morrie Schwartz to his former student, Mitch Albom. Suffering from a neurological disease known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, Morrie is on the verge of death; he knows not to cling to things because sooner rather than later whatever he is clinging to will be gone, because nothing’s permanent. Clinging to objects or people is a natural thing to do, which aids in our feelings of security and safeness. When one is clinging to something or someone, the loss of that object or person can be unbearable. Whether I am anxious or stressed over something, I often tend to not cling onto objects or people, but instead onto things such as events that I am looking forward to that are in the near future. There is something about thinking about and hoping for other things that keeps my mind off of what’s bothering me in the present. In other words,  if I can think about something that I’m excited about such as graduation, the little things that are bothering me in my everyday life seem much smaller than when I’m living in the present and that’s all I think about.

In the memoir Tuesdays with Morrie, the author, Mitch Albom, reunites with his old college professor, Morrie Schwartz, at Brandeis University, who is dying from ALS. Approaching the end of his life, Morrie talks about several aspects of life, and a couple of times he says “Love each other, or perish” (Albom 91). I find this aphorism quite true because there are always times in our lives when we need someone else for help and support. In the church my family goes to, everyone knows each other. There is always someone in need of some form of help, and there is always a group of people that provides support. During the winter a couple of years ago, my father and I got stuck in a snowbank in our car and several trucks, cars, and even a snow plow went by us and didn’t ask us if we needed help. Luckily, with the close connections in our church, we called up a close friend that lived near the accident, and he abandoned what he were doing and came to help us. As a result, we managed to get out after a while and saved a lot of money by not getting towed by some business. One of many, this experience in my life shows me that love and friendships bring people together, allowing them to support each other all the time. To live without love is asking for a harder life.

“There is no such thing as ‘too late’ in life” is a piece of wisdom that was once imparted by a wise, old man to an eager student. While it’s a powerful message in itself, this lesson becomes even stronger knowing that this wise, old man had mere weeks to live. A dying man, Morrie Schwartz knew what it meant to live, even though he soon would cease to do so. He knew that it is never too late to enjoy what you love or to try something new. Oftentimes, society judges someone’s worth on how early in life one makes their achievements – from when we are in our first romantic relationship, to when we get our first car, to when we get married and start a family. These judgments can easily make one feel inferior or unfulfilled if one achieves these things “late”. With Morrie’s legacy, we know that happiness can be achieved regardless of when things happen in life, and that it’s never too late.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest