Have Taught not just "read" TWM to classes for over ten years

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Have Taught not just "read" TWM to classes for over ten years

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Malbom 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Bdolphin2009
    Participant

But the junior classes I am teaching the lessons to this year have “touched me”…..they have really taken the words to heart and will not leave anything on the table, they will say it all now and not wait until its too late…..They will enjoy a few words from you…

tomorrow the movie….today we finished the book, its funny how the story evokes such silence……they cant quit thinking about things, and talking

Jay Rector

Malbom
    Keymaster

To Mr. Rector’s Students:

Thank you for reading Tuesdays with Morrie with such openness and passion. It has been my privilege, and my honor, to share Morrie with the world. I can’t tell you how happy he would be to learn that millions of students like you continue to read his words, and that the teaching goes on.

I hope you enjoy watching the movie in class today. It was Jack Lemmon’s last role, and he won an Emmy for it. I couldn’t imagine any other actor in that role. Be nice to Hank Azaria, who had the misfortune of playing me!

I hope you’ll come to this thread and share your thoughts about the book, about Morrie, about the lessons you’ll take with it here with me directly. I’ll do my best to answer.

Keep reading. That’s the best gift you can give Morrie in return.

With gratitude from your friend,
    Mitch

Bdolphin2009
    Participant

Thank you for your prompt response….I failed to tell you that I had a morrie, he had me read the book because it was about himself and me…..I of course was you…the student….he passed of cancer and we were truly a mirror of you and your coach…..I showed my students your letter and I want you to know that I truly love these guys…they gave me the honor, time and their attention that allowed me to tell my story….I was able to interject my feelings about my Janine(Rhonda) but also about my son who is in prison and my granddaughter(Madison) who I am lucky enough to be raising….

Your wonderful way of relaying things has made me a better man

My greatest thanks to you

Bdolphin2009
    Participant

From Denise,

Dear Mitch Albom,

your story inspired me to make more out of life. I started thinking about my grandma, but in a good way. My grandma was everything to me. We were going to the store one afternoon and she started breathing really hard when we got out of the truck. I made her get back in so we could drive home; when we got home I called my mom and told her what happened. My mom made my grandma go to the doctor and we found out she had lung cancer.
    My family was tearing itself apart as grandma got worse. My mom went to stay with my grandma so she could help her, me and my brothers were living with my father. He would always tell us that our mom left us to get away because she didn’t love us and I let him brainwash me into thinking my mom hated me and I didn’t focus on my grandma. I remember the last thing I said to my grandma. I said, “I’m going to go into the living room with the boys, ok?” She said, “Yeah baby go ahead.” I said, “I love you grandma.” then gave her a kiss goodnight and she said she loved me too.
    As grandma got worse I got more depressed and started training myself to throw out my feelings so I couldn’t feel pain. I try to pretend that nothing ever happened. I talk to her picture we have mounted on the wall all the time but then I start to feel sad so I shut out my emotions. My grandma died November 11, 2014. I am still trying to get my emotions back. Morrie said that love is the most important thing in life, but I am scared to love or be loved.
    I have decided to do something to make my grandma proud. I’ve decided to join the military and make something of my life. I am doing it for me and my loved grandma.
    I want to thank you, because this movie and book has really started to help me.

Denise

P.S. I found out I might have a tumor in my ear again and the things Morrie said about death and living it made me not so scared. The tumor I have had for 10 years is really dangerous it if reaches my brain. It could kill me but it hasn’t moved. I am not afraid to die, I am afraid not to live. I hope that makes sense. Thank you

LLDuncan
    Participant

This has been such a wonderful unit– one of my favorites to close out the school year. It’s both inspiring and challenging, and the lessons are timeless.

In the book, Morrie often quotes Auden’s line from his poem “September 1, 1939”: “We must love each other or die.” I think the ending stanza of the poem is worth noting as well, as we end the study.

Defenceless under the night
    Our world in stupor lies;
    Yet, dotted everywhere,
    Ironic points of light
    Flash out wherever the Just
    Exchange their messages:
    May I, composed like them
    Of Eros and of dust,
    Beleaguered by the same
    Negation and despair,
    Show an affirming flame.

I hope that we can take these lessons to heart and be “points of light” and “affirming flames” to lift others up on our campus and in our communities. Let’s work together to create the kind of world we want to be part of!

Kmbraithwaite99
    Participant

Dear Mitch Albom,
    Tuesday with Morrie was such a great book. I love that my teachers Mrs. Duncan and Mr. Rector were able to introduce this book to my class as well as their other classes. I love the movie version but in the book Janine and you were already married but in the movie your character just proposed to her and they waited a while to get married. My Morrie was my great-aunt Marilyn who passed away in 2014 of colon cancer. My aunt was exactly like Morrie. She loved to dance and sing with my grandma and my aunt Lois. She always had a smile on her face and she loved life. In October 2014, my mom and I went to Canada to go see her and say our last goodbye. When I saw her, she looked so frail but she was happy to see us. I said goodbye even though I thought that I would still her see her again. Then three weeks later on October 29, 2014 she took her last breath and passed away peacefully. I always thought that she could win her battle of colon cancer but plans changed. Thank you so much for writing this book and sharing your story of your old college professor Morrie AKA Coach.

Sincerely
    Kali Braithwaite

Maddsbrew
    Participant

Dear Mitch Albom,

I have always struggled trying to figure out what I am suppose to do with my life or finding myself, and this book helped me a lot. Tuesdays With Morrie is such a great and inspiring book. I’m glad I had two wonderful teachers who were able to teach this to our classes and make such an impact on us all. This book tells you step by step how to live a better life, I wish I could’ve read this sooner but I’m lucky I was able to at all. I want to apologize for your loss, but a death ends a life not a relationship. We all have teachers, but I have yet to find my own. I hope this book can touch people like it has touched me.

Sincerely
    Madison Brewster

11thBA
    Participant

I had a friend die about two years ago, and even though he died suddenly, Tuesdays With Morrie has helped me find some peace with his death. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

11thBA
    Participant

I’ve never had any grandparents that could offer me any wisdom or lessons to learn from. Morrie has taught me everything I could possibly learn from grandparents. Thank you for this eye-opening piece of literature.

11thBA
    Participant

Tuesdays with Morrie has helped me feel much more comfortable with death. I’ve always been so afraid of it, but this book has put me in a place where I’m actually able to think about death.

11thBA
    Participant

I’ve always struggled finding happiness and I never really understood why. Morrie has taught me that making others happy is a great way to make myself happy, thank you.

Malbom
    Keymaster

Hi @11thba,

You wrote:

Tuesdays with Morrie has helped me feel much more comfortable with death. I’ve always been so afraid of it, but this book has put me in a place where I’m actually able to think about death.

And I think that’s absolutely right. As Morrie said, “when you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” It’s funny, I’m often thought of as an author who writes about death. But I think that’s misnomer. Yes, characters in my stories die, and even go to heaven. But the story is always so much more about how they lived. Death just gets your attention.

Thanks for writing,
    Mitch

Malbom
    Keymaster

Hi @llduncan,

I love that the movie version included the full verse that is the source of that quote, and performed by none other than Jack Lemmon, is one of those most poignant moments of the film.

All I have is a voice
    To undo the folded lie,
    The romantic lie in the brain
    Of the sensual man-in-the-street
    And the lie of Authority
    Whose buildings grope the sky:
    There is no such thing as the State
    And no one exists alone;
    Hunger allows no choice
    To the citizen or the police;
    We must love one another or die.

Thank you for bringing Morrie into the classroom.

Your friend,
    Mitch

Malbom
    Keymaster

Hi @maddsbrew,

I’m afraid I’m starting to sound rather repetitive by bringing in Morrie’s voice, but his wisdom lives on. And as he taught us, we should be devoting ourselves to our community and through that, we can find how to create a life that gives us both purpose and meaning. You’re young (I don’t mean to dismiss your concerns because you are), and I believe you will find it because you are open to doing so. You’ll also find teachers in your life–time will bring that. I’ve been blessed to know many teachers, emotionally and spiritually, and I continue to learn from the people I meet who have read and been moved by my books.

In the meantime, keep reading, and keep exploring.

Your friend,
    Mitch

Malbom
    Keymaster

Hi Denise (c/o @bdolphin2009),

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I lose my mom last January, and I still miss her everyday. I missed hearing her voice for years before she passed (she suffered a stroke). And though I spoke to her, it’s so hard to know that I can’t hear her talk back. But I know she’s there, and I know she’d be so happy to learn that my brother and I are working together to put on a new musical (which debuts tonight, and that’s why I’ve had to keep my answers short, here!).

It worries me to hear that you’ve pushed love and affection away. Please don’t. You’re worthy of it.

I’m proud to hear of your decision to enlist, if it is one you are fully prepared for. I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your service.

I’m glad Tuesdays with Morrie has helped to bring you some peace.

Your friend,
    Mitch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest