Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Lessons from reading Tuesdays With Morrie

This topic contains 25 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Bakexota 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Tuesdays with Morrie has been an fantastic read. During the last few weeks of reading this during my English class and also at home, I have learned many lessons from this book as well. There are three quotes that appealed to me in many ways.

“The truth is, once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.”  This quote from Morrie is a very meaningful one. Although he is dying, he is seeing purpose of life. Life is meant to be filled with happiness, joy, and relationships throughout it. Not sorrow. And Morrie viewed it exactly as is. He knew happiness his entire life. Why be unhappy in the end?

Another quote that appealed to me with another life lesson, is, “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in. Let it come in. We think we don’t deserve love, we think if we let it in we’ll become too soft. But a wise man named Levin said it right. He said, “Love is the only rational act.” Sometimes, we do believe that we don’t deserve love. But after the read of this quote, we need to have love in our life. Life without love is meaningless. Meaningless to the point that it reaches our lifelong sorrow, resulting in pain and loss. Morrie showed that love should come in. If we so choose to let it come in, our life will be filled with joy and meaning.

A final quote I felt affected me in some way, is from Morrie as well. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.”  This one really got to me. I have had several family members that has passed away and were forever gone of this earth. We humans have an instinct of feeling as if that relationship is always gone. It is not. Each person alive is going to die. But, although death is a loss, it is not a loss of a relationship. You could forever have an relationship with one who has passed on. It may seem hard, but I learned that I still have a close relationship with a special person I lost long ago. Although they are gone in person, they are forever in my life still in someway.

This book has helped me become a better person. And I am blessed I was given the opportunity to read it as well. The lessons from this book are incredible. From the range of teaching of happiness, to the point of dealing with death. Love is an important thing in life. And losing someone along with it is even harder. But, by reading this book, and realizing how Morrie was when he was dying, affected me and my life. This book, was a great book.

My English 101 class just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. Typically, I dread reading books in school. They always bore me and I just tend to skim over the pages. In the first trimester of our english class we read a few of Mitch’s articles. I loved his writing technique and just never dreaded reading it. So, when I found out we were reading Tuesdays with Morrie, I was looking forward to it. This has probably been one of the best books I have ever read mainly because it taught me so many life lessons that other books don’t tend to have. Throughout the book, I marked a series of quotes and life lessons from both Mitch and Morrie. Out of all of the things I marked, three statements by Morrie just stuck with me and gave me something to really think about. My favorite from Morrie is in the section about the fear of aging. Morrie says, “Mitch, it is impossible for the old not to envy the young. But the issue is to accept who you are and revel in that. This is your time to be in your thirties. I had my time to be in my thirties, and now is my time to be seventy-eight. You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue.” Thsi really spoke to me. I am a senior and I will be graduationg soon. I’m having a hard time accepting the fact that I’m growing up. But, Morrie helped me to learn that growing old isn’t a bad thing at all. Now is my time to be 18 and enjoy my senior year of high school. Don’t dread growing up, just enjoy the time that you have now. Another favorite quote of mine from this book is in the section about emotions. Morrie says, “But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. and only then you can say, ‘All right. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.'” I get upset probably more than normal people should. But, this life lesson taught me that I need to realize what is going on and detach myself from the emotion. There is no need in dwelling on something for a long amount of time. That’s not healthy for anyone. Altogether, this has made me a much happier person. There are so many more quotes and life lessons found in this book. After reading Tuesdays with Morrie, I feel like I know Morrie. He has definitely made an impact on my life. I would highly recomend this book for anyone. It’s just one of those books I feel that everyone should take the time to read. You never know, Morrie could have an impact on your life as well.

Billyd

As you approach your own death you learn a lot of things you couldn’t see previously. We see things from a completly different prespective that we couldn’t see otherwise, and realize what really matters in the end. With Tuesdays with Morrie, we have as much insight as we can possibily have to the true meaning of life without having the full blown experiance. Alrthough some concepts may not be expressed fully, we still get a glimpse of whats to come and it can help us prepare for the inevitable.One of my favorite quotes from the book was”Don’t let go to soon, but don’t hang on too long”. This quote implys that morrie felt he had a certin control over his fate, and choose when it was truly time to leave this earth. I feel like you should stay long enough to make things right with everyone, seal the deal, and say good bye. But you should not hang on when it’s clear its time to go. Meaning don’t let other people suffer for you, and don’t make yourself suffer more than what is needed. Another part of the book I like is when morrie refered to our culture as something we create ourselves and chosoe to live in. In todays times It’s hard to think of someone making there own “rules” and socuial standards and doing what makes them happy. But Morrie teaches us to be truly happy it’s nessisary to detach, and do what our hearts tell us. Not what the money says. Money is an illusion and a replacement for the true thigns that matter, love, and family, and friends. And Until we realize that money can’t feel that gap in the end, we will never be truly happy. This book does the best job possible in waking up people before it’s to late. It’s helps people see what is truly important in the end.

Zachch

In my college english class we just got finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I am the type of person who hates reading, but this time it was diffrent it was a awesome read. It has many quotes about life, love, marrage, and anything else you could possible think of. There are so many quotes i would love to use, but here are my three favorite quotes that Morrie gave about his life and how to live.”Accept who you are;and revel in it”. This is such an awesome quote, because today we see so many people trying to be someone they are not. This quote teaches us to be who we are and accept what that is. I have tried to act like someone im not before, just to be cool or do the cool thing. When in all reality you will be just as happy accepting who you are and living. This taught me to accept me for me and be happy about it.”This is part of what a family is about, not just love. It’s knowing that your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that.”. This quotes means a lot to be because over the past few years my family has been fored to become close. With things such as my sister passing away and my mom and dad getting divorced. This quotes made me realize, that my family has always been there for me, and all ways will even when no one else has you back family will no matter the condition. And always put your family before everything in your life, never let anything get between you and them.“Forgive yourself before you die. Then forgive others.” This hit me hard becaue i hold a grudge. This made me realize one day the person i have grudges against will die and so will I, why should i hold this against them? Why not forgive and love instead of being angry with them. This is something I battle with, but Morrie taught me that i need to forgive before its too late. Because I have lost many people dear to me in my life and I wish I could have told them I loved them one more time or im sorry for getting mad at you over something stupid. I believe that this is something we all could work on, because its human nature to hold grudges but its not human to forgive. I think we should all learn to forgive and love. We also need to learn to forgive our selfs because you wont be happy untill you forgive your self and love others.Tuesdays with Morrie is a awesome book. I hate reading but this is a book I will deffinatly read again. It has made me a better person and learn to forgive and love. To be thankful for what I have in my life and never take anything for granted. To be thankful for the people who love me and know that family will always love you. To forgive because you never know whats gonna happen next because life is not promised. This book is full of life lessons all of us could take and learn from. We could better our selfs and everyone around us. If we could all be a little more like Morrie this world would be a better place.

There are many different books that can teach you a good lesson or two.Tuesdays with Morrie does more than that. The author Mitch Albom Tells a story of his old college professor growing old and dying from the disease of ALS. Albom shares the coversations and “classes” he has with his old professor which all seemed to give the greatest lesson of all. The lesson of Life. “Death ends and life, not a relationship” said by Morrie himself is such a meanful note.It is a quote I will never forget because I have extremely close family and friends and I do believe a reason I am here is to live for them. The reason I am here is because of them and it is impossible to change that. When we pass or one of them leaves this earth the feelings will never change. Love is love and not even death can kill it. “You’re not a wave, you are part of the ocean.” Is a great way to look a life. I am put here for a reason in this sea of people and I have to find what that reason is. I will crash into the bank one day but I realize that I have something to leave for the next generation of my family. I will pass it on to my children and they will pass it on to theirs and so on. The quote “Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” Has probably had the biggest impact on my life the past few months. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder about a week ago for simply just panicing over things that many people don’t worry about ,for example death. Any time I heard the word or talked about it I would turn into the mess and have a mental breakdown about why we die and how? Whats going to happen to me? But After reading Morrie and hearing the way he sees things it has changed a lot for me.I have realized that I am going to die and nothing will stop it so Im now trying to live my life to the fullest everyday. I try to do something everyday that I havent before. Whether it be talk to a new person or try a new food. I do it and I think okay,Because of Morrie I am learning just how to live. I am so happy to have read Tuesdays with Morrie. I recommend this read to anyone. It has changed the way I look a life and the way I do things but all in a postive way. I know in years to come I will find myself thinking about this book and all of the lessons this book has taught me.Morrie has taught me one of the greatest lessons in life, and that is to not be scared of life itself.

In my college english class we just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie. It is usually very hard for me to get into books and I’m not the biggest fan of non-fiction. When we first started reading the book I didn’t think I would get through it without dying of boredom but my views completely changed. Tuesdays with Morrie is by far one of the best books I have ever read. This book has so much to offer to everyone. It’s really taught me a lot. One of the quotes that really spoke to me was on page 61: …”you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too –even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling”I absolutely loved this quote. I have the hardest time ever trusting people because of past experiences and this taught me that I need to let go and just not care. Just like I’m doing the exercise to just close my eyes and go for it and hope for the best. Another quote that really touched my heart was on page 174 when Morrie says, “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” My best friend Moose passed away last year in November and I have a very hard time dealing with. People try to tell me all the time that I need to get over it. I learned though that just because he’s dead I don’t have to forget about him, it doesn’t take away the fact that he was my best friend and he will always be the best friend I’ll ever have. I still go to his grave and visit and just talk and Morrie told Mitch in the book that he could do that and he’ll listen. It touched my heart so much. In conclusion I’m so blessed to have had this book come in my life because it has taught me so much. I’d reccomend to it everyone who hasn’t read it yet because they’re really missing out on an amazing book.

Alliec

After reading this book, I’ve began to see life a little differently. Little things like the wind blowing and the sun rising every morning started to catch my attention. The lessons that Morrie taught Mitch are amazing pieces of advice that everyone who reads this book should keep in the back of their minds. I feel like a personal friend of Morries. Personally, my favorite quote from the book is, “You see, you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too — even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” The girl in the classroom closed her eyes. I think this is a metaphor for the secret to trust in a relationship. You must trust blindly. Relying on what you feel to guide you in decision making. To trust someone is to close your eyes and fall. Hoping that the person your instincts have told you to trust will catch you and keep you safe. My second favorite quote from the book would be, “Love wins. Love always wins.” I’ve spent most of my life wondering why love has never been important to the people I’ve surrounded myself with and find myself hurt often because I’m a very loving person. Giving love will always be something I’m good at it. I don’t need people to understand why I keep on loving the way I do after I’ve been hurt from opening up my heart to someone, because to me, love always wins, even if it takes awhile. I think I will see myself referring to this book in my future. After this read, I find myself thankful just to be alive. I want to grasp everything in my reach. And out of my reach as well. I pay attention to the little things. And don’t take all the big things for granted. If you’re looking for inspiration, this book is the one to pick up.

Jwcooper

My English 101 class recently read this book. I had never heard of the book until my teacher introduced it to me. The book and Morrie’s words really inspired me. It taught me many lessons on life, love, forgivness, etc. This was a really great book. One of the greatest lessons it taught me was how to forgive. Toward the end of the book, Morrie says “It’s not just other people we need to forgive, Mitch. We also need to forgive ourselves.” He goes on to say “For all the things we didn’t do. All the things we should have done. You can’t get stuck on the regrets of what should have happened.” This is just very inspiring to me. I mean, we are taught from a young age to forgive other people, but we never really think of forgiving ourselves. But, it is very important. In order to live a happy life, we must be completely at peace with ourselves. Morrie says: “You need to make peace with yourself and everyone around you.” If this man who is dying from ALS can say these words and make peace with himself, then why can’t we when we are young and healthy? Basically everyone tries to make the people around them happy, but doesn’t try to do anything to make them at peace. I had never really thought about making peace with myself, and forgiving myself for all of my regrets in the past. But with reading this book, it made me realize many things. The main one being how to forgive. “Forgive yourself. Forgive others. Don’t wait. Not everyone gets the time I’m getting. Not everyone is so lucky.” From this book I learn that I should do these things such as forgiving when I have the chance. Because as Morrie says, not everyone is as lucky as he is. We all don’t have the time to do these things before we die. I just want to personally thank Morrie for his words of inspiration, and Mitch for publishing their last thesis together. It has taught me many lessons, and gave me many different outlooks on life. The lesson about forgiving is not all that I have learned. The whole book was a learning experience. Once again, Tuesdays With Morrie has inspired me in a way that nothing else could have.

“Have you ever really had a teacher? One who saw you as a raw but precious thing, a jewel that, with wisdom, could be polished to a proud shine?” I felt like Morrie was teaching me personally throughout this book. I could see myself sitting across from him taking the final class. Here are just a few of the lessons and simple truths that I felt I learned from Morrie:”Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it” pg. 18 This quote really stuck out to me because I’ve been struggling with my past recently. I’ve been getting upset over past mistakes, asking what if, and wondering if the choices I’ve made in the past have affected my future. As I’ve read this book I was amazed at how Morrie could look at the terrible moments in his past and control his emotions so well. He still got upset, yet he didn’t dwell on it. He used it to grow and become the person he was, while not letting the past overwhelm his life “ . . . I know what a misery being young can be, so don’t tell me it’s so great. All this kids who came to me with their struggles, their strife, their feelings of inadequacy, their sense that life was miserable, so bad they wanted to kill themselves . . .” “Mitch I embrace aging” pg. 117 and pg. 118 No other statement in the book it more honest than the first one. I’m at a point where I am always stressed, rushing around, doing five things at once, and just being miserable in general. I don’t have a bad life. I have amazing friends and a family that loves me, yet I’m miserable. I like Morrie embrace aging. The older I get the better I’m able to handle the stress and feel like I’m valued. Morrie helped me to fully understand how to embrace it. Take your time and enjoy the process and don’t dwell on the bad, but focus on the joys of it. Look back on what you did and the past and smile and look forward and be excited. “Do the kind of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won’t be dissatisfied, you won’t be envious, you won’t be longing for somebody else’s things. On the contrary you’ll be overwhelmed with what comes back.” Pg. 128 This hit the hardest. Even in his death Morrie was helping others. He didn’t wallow in self pity. He didn’t complain. He taught. He cared. He loved. That’s what is wrong with so many people, including myself, today. We get caught up with what is in our heads. We think about what is logical and what is best for us. If we lived as perfectly logical human beings life would be terrible. If we follow our hearts we may stumble and we may fall, yet we will come out so much happier in the end. Just like Morrie.I could go on and on about the lessons Morrie taught me through this book, but I simply don’t have enough time or room to type all of that out. Thank you Mitch for sharing Morrie’s wisdom with the world. Thank you Morrie for taking time to teach your last class.

Khalcomb

I have been required to read many books in the past years during school. I’ve read books for assessments, quizzes, and projects. Rarely have I ever found a book that I have read just for pure enjoyment. Books never really gave much meaning to me; Tuesdays with Morrie, otherwise, has changed my life and my perspectives forever.  One of my favorite series of quotes from Morrie is, “Have you found someone to share your heart with?” ; “Are you giving to your community?” ; “Are you at peace with yourself?” ; “Are you trying to be as human as you can be?”. I believe that if everyone asked themselves these questions, we could all live like Morrie did- in a humble, peaceful, loving manner. Another quote that makes meaning to me is, “I give myself a good cry if I need it. But then I concentrate on all the good things still in my life.” I have struggles in my life that I am currently living with. I have Crohn’s Disease. I know exactly what Morrie meant by this. Living with Crohn’s Disease is hard, and sometimes I feel sorry for myself. I’ve cried, I’ve prayed, I’ve felt plenty of self-pity. Yet, I stay as positive as I can. I try to forget and be thankful for what I am given instead of mourn upon my disease.A third quote that touches my heart is, “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” This quote, in my opinion, can relate to anyone. Everyone has felt like this at one point in their life. If we can recognize what’s important in life, we will live a better life.Tuesdays with Morrie was definitely one of the most beautiful and touching books of life lessons I have ever read. Morrie’s words will stay with me for my life time. I truly wish I knew Morrie Schawrtz personally.Thank you Mitch Albom for sharing Morrie’s wisdom and love with the world and my college English class.

Trish

Recently our English 101 class read “Tuesdays with Morrie.” I’m not a big fan of reading; I usually can’t stand the sight of a book. This book was different I enjoyed it way more than I thought. Most books have stories and lessons you learn from. Yes, Morrie had plenty of stories and lessons but to me it felt more like an instruction manual on life itself: How to live, how to embrace love, and the most important, how to face death. “Tuesdays with Morrie” had so many life lessons but this one in particular stuck out to me. “As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away. All the memories are still there. You live on-in the hearts of everyone you have touched and natured while you were here.” Everyone is scared of dying, but there is a right way to die. Most people who have had someone to pass away feel as if they are gone forever. But if we have love it feels like they’re still here. Helping and Guiding you through the many challenges life may throw at you. It’s not the same but as close as you can get to having them back. We still have memories and no one can take them away from you. This person has touched your life in some way and there is no way you can forget that. Memories are with us always and that’s something we can cherish forever.Morrie says, “Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness. I can tell you, as I’m sitting here dying, when you most need it, neither money nor power will give you the feeling you’re looking for, no matter how much of them you have.” I love this quote it says so much about our society today. We believe if we have money we can do or have anything. When in all reality money is nothing it’s mainly a necessity. It’s not going to stop you from dying, nothing will not even power you just have to accept. That means you have to live everyday as if it were your last, don’t have regrets and most all love to the fullest of your ability because love is what it’s all about.One more quote that stuck out to me was one that said “Love each other or perish. It’s good no? And it’s true. Without love, we are birds with broken wings.” Morrie showed compassion, something most people try to dodge, including Mitch at first. We are all scared if we show compassion that means we are weak. But when you show compassion you let people in. Yes, we are all scared at first, but it will help in the long run, because without love we are birds with broken wings, as Morrie says.I feel Morrie wasn’t just a teacher he was more like a best friend that gave you advice. When I was reading I felt like I knew him. Morrie’s last thesis had to be the most powerful one I have ever seen. He helped me realize “Once you learn how to live you learn how to die.” That will stay with me forever. I will always remember Morrie Schwartz and the life lessons he taught me.

Emma Ison

After reading Tuesdays with Morrie this book made me realize how precious life is. One minute your living, and then the next your dead. That’s what life boils down to: birth, the in between, and death. By reading Tuesdays with morrie I learned that we must cherish every single day we have because our time is very limited. I really loved Morrie’s perspective on life in today’s society “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning in your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” Morrie’s perspevtive on life made me realize that everyone is just too wrapped up in wanting power, money, and expensive things to realize the little things in life. Morrie taught me that in order to find meaning and joy in your life, you need to love others, be a positive part of your community, and be something bigger than yourself. This book has also changed my personal perspective on death as well. Tuesdays with Morrie opened my eyes to the idea that death isn’t all that bad. “Let’s begin with this idea, everyone knows they’re going to die, but nobody believes it.” When Morrie said this it really hit home for me. Most teenagers like myself belive that we are going to live forever, that death will never reach us, but it’s going to happen to all of us at some point in time it just depends on how we choose to view it. Do we push it off or do we embrace it? Morrie taught me to embrace it. He chose to spend his final days touching the lives of others, and not spending every minute of everyday feeling sorry for himself. So many people choose to view death as something bad, something that everyone trying to avoid. If we embrace death, and look at it differently, it wouldn’t be so hard to accept. There wouldn’t be such a dark shadow on death and the grieving process wouldn’t be as hard as it is now. Overall, life and death are very similar and reading this book has made me realize that. Our life is a blessing, how we choose to view that blessing, is our own choice. When I finished the book it really made me think of how I view my life, like Morrie said, “Do I wither up and disappear, or do I make the best of my time left?” This quote made me think that I really want to make the best of what time I have been given here on this earth before I have tho leave it. This has been the biggest lesson that I have learned from reading Tuesdays with Morrie, learning how to look at life and death differently and accepting that things happen for a reason.

I just finished reading Tuesdays with Morrie in my English 101 class. Usually, I’m not a big fan of reading but to my surprise I found this book very enjoyable. As I begun reading Tuesdays with Morrie, I found myself encountering numerous quotes that made a lot of meaning to me. There are three that I found more meaning to than others.One of those quotes are “Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do”. I find this quote very comforting. I am, one of many, who try to be a perfectionist but just end up with disappointing results. Because nobody is perfect. To me this quote says that it’s okay that you can’t do this, that there is no reason to beat yourself up over it, figuratively speaking. There will be things you come across that you can’t do and things that you’ll do easily, you just have to figure out which is which.The second quote that I found meaning to is “You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now”. I always find myself stressing about everything that goes wrong. This quote helps me understand that I shouldn’t stress, but instead focus on the all the good things that’s going right and don’t take them for granted. Enjoy the life that you were given. Now every time I find myself stressing I think back to this quote. I’ll take a second and realize that everything is good, I’m just over thinking.Lastly, “Do the kinds of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won’t be dissatisfied, you won’t be envious, you won’t be longing for somebody else’s things. On the Contrary, you’ll be overwhelmed with what comes back”. I love this quote, mainly because if we guided our life by that rule alone, then we would live much happier lives. Our generation today likes to compare themselves to others and see what they are missing as things that they need to have. If we took Morrie’s advice in this quote then we wouldn’t be distracted by everyone else’s things but blinded by how bless we actually are. Also, the last part of the quote I look at it as if it says what effort you give to be nice to someone they’ll repay you back with that kindness.All in all, The book Tuesdays with Morrie has taught me life lessons that will always be with me. Not only has it changed my perspective on things but its changed me as a person, as well. I’m very glad I had the chance to read this book. I know as life goes on I will find myself referring back to this book and the life lessons in it not just for the amazing read but to help my future self remember what’s most important in life. As well as, helping me cope with whatever obstacle I come across in life.

Recently my high school english class was given the assignment to read your book Tuesday’s With Morrie. When given the assignment I assumed it would be just like reading any other old book. Never in my life could I have imagined learning so much from someones story of dying. I never imagined I could learn so much about love, life, friendship, and death from such a simple little book. Of all the things this book has taught me,three stand out to me the most. One very valuable lesson I learned from the book was about aging. Morrie says “All younger people should know something. If you’re always battling against getting older, you’re always going to be unhappy, because it will happen anyhow.” In todays world aging is considered badm and something you should be ashamed of. From Morrie I learned that if you always fight against it you can never be truely happy. He taught me that fighting the inevitable is pointless and will cause you to spend your entire life unhappy if you allow it to. Morrie taught me that aging is something that should excite people because aging means knowledge, and you can never obtain too much knowledge. Another very valuable life lesson I was taught from reading about Morrie was about how to be satisfied with your life. Morrie says that “There’s a big confusion in this country over what we want versus what we need. You need food, you want a chocolate sundae.” He tells us that “…you don’t get satisfaction from those things…” From this quote I learned that no matter how much you want things and act like you’ll die without them, you can survive so long as you have what you need. I was taught that I don’t have to have the best of everything, all I have to have is what I need. I learned how to be more greatful for the things I have and to stop yearning for the things that I want. One of the most valuable lessons I learned overall was about death. Morrie said that “As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away. All the love you created is still there. All the memories are still there. You live on- in the hearts of everyone you have touched while you were here.” I believe that everyone is afraid of being forgotten after they die. From reading this book I was taught that so long as I show love to those around me before I die I can live forever. I realized that all of my family and friends that I have lost never really went away, and that they never really will. It’s a very calming thought to know that when I die I’ll never have to leave the world completely. When I was given the assignment I was dreading reading this book. I assumed it was going to be just another book I was assigned to get a grade. I never imagined I would have learned so much about life from someone I’ve never even met. I was entirely please with the book, and I anticipate reading it again in the future. I hope everyone has the chance to read it and learn what I’ve been given the opportunity to learn from the life and death of Morrie Schwartz.

Kconley3

In my English 101 class, we have recently been required to read the book Tuesdays With Morrie. I’ve never been one to enjoy reading. But, I have really enjoyed reading this book. It has changed the way I view life. “Mitch, I don’t allow myself any more self-pity than that. A little each morning, a few tears, and that’s all. ” This quote really got to me. Here’s this man, dying with a horrible disease, and there’s so many people in this world who have the slightest problems and they feel so sorry for themselves and want everyone else to feel sorry for them as well. This has taught me that we need to put a limit of self-pity each day, and move on. “Mitch, it is impossible for the old not to envy the young. But the issue is to accept who you are and revel in that. This is your time to be in your thirties. I had my time to be in my thirties, and now is my time to be seventy-eight. You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue.” Before reading this book, I never really put much thought into when older people say, “Only if I were seventeen again.” They had the chance to live their life as being young, so if they truly lived it out they wanted to, they wouldn’t regret it and envy the young now that they’re older. We need to live for what is happening, not for what happened yesterday. “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” People have the wrong impression of life, being to busy doing things to please themselves, instead of focusing on the most important ones around them. If all of us would devote ourselves to these things, we would live in a much better place. We all need to be involved in our community and give to others. This book has definitely changed my views on life for the better. It’s made me appreciate the little things I never have before. It has showed me to never take anything I have for granted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest