Life lessons from Tuesdays With Morrie

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Life lessons from Tuesdays With Morrie

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by 14awhite 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

14awhite

Dear Mitch,

My English 101 class recently finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie. I have to say that Tuesdays With Morrie is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. It was a very emotional and amazing book. It has taught me many life lessons, although, they was 3 quotes from Morrie that seemed to affect me the most.

“.. detachment doesn’t mean you don’t let the experience penetrate you . On the contrary, you let it penetrate you fully. That’s how you are able to leave it.” Morrie talked about how he only felt sorry for his self for a couple minutes a day, then he would move on and go on with his day. So many people walk around feeling so sorry for themselves playing the “poor pity me” card. Morrie was a dying man and seen the good in life. He didn’t sit around feeling sorry for his self all day. He saw the positive in everything, despite having a dying disease.

Another quote that really appealed to me was when he said, “Aging is not just decay, you know. It’s growth. It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die, it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.” This quote really hit home for me. Many people, including myself, are afraid of dying, although, many people do not accept the fact that they are going to die one day. They refuse to accept that their life on earth is not forever. I think that if more people realized that they will die one day (like Morrie did), they would live a better life and make smarter choices.

The last quote that really affected me was when he said, “Money is not a substitute for tenderness, and power is not a substitute for tenderness.” Morrie found value in different things other than money and power. The saying is,” Money makes the world go round”. Although through Morrieā€™s words, I have to disagree. We need compassion, love, and friendship in the world. Those things are what make us feel complete.

This book has honestly made me become a better person. It has taught me several life lessons. I have learned to appreciate friends, family, and life more. To not be afraid of death, to know it is coming one day and try to better my life before that day comes. It has taught me to forgive, and to be compassionate. I feel blessed to have the chance to have read this book. Thank you.

Sincerely, Ashley White

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest