Thoughts on Have a Little Faith

Home Forums Have a Little Faith Thoughts on Have a Little Faith

This topic contains 111 replies, has 94 voices, and was last updated by  Gardenflower 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)
  • Author

My senior English class has recently read the book “Have a Little Faith,” by Mitch Albom. Upon reading this book, I have been inspired to take a step back and examine my own personal thoughts on life and religion, just as Mitch does throughout the book. This work of Literature has opened my mind to quite a few different views on other religions, including my own.A part that really made me want to consider other beliefs was when Mitch said, “Whose to say their God is better than another? Who knows which Bible is written right and which isn’t?” (183). Being raised under the Pentecostal faith, in which there aren’t a lot of grey areas, mainly black and white, I have never thought to look at how someone else could have been taught about what is right and wrong from a child up. And even if my faith is the right way, how can someone else be condemned to Hell for eternity if they didn’t know any better? I haven’t got an answer yet and, honestly, I’m starting to think there isn’t one.Not only have I learned about different religions, I learned quite a few life lessons. One in particular that stood out to me would be the lesson the Reb gives Mitch about marriage. After being asked why do so many marriages fail, the Reb responds by saying, “Young people expect too much from marriage these days…They expect perfection…It’s okay that the other nudges you a little, bothers you a little. That’s part of being close with someone” (144). I believe this is entirely true. I mean, look at the literal meaning of this phrase: when you’re standing or walking beside someone closely, you are going to bump them. But it’s okay. No one got hurt, no one fell down, you just “nudged” the other. On the metaphorical side, being with someone you love is kind of similar. You may love them with your whole heart, and still be annoyed within an inch of your life with the things they do. Things like having to have the last word, shushing you, or fighting over which radio station to listen to. These things may be the thorn in your side right now, but one day they will just be playful memories to look back on after you have built a life together. Regardless of how annoying some things may be, if at the end of the day you still love them along with those aggravating habits, you will make it. You might have to hold on with all your might, but you will make it.

When my Dual Credit English teacher handed out “Have A Little Faith” I thought to myself “Well, here’s another book I’m going to have to suffer through to pass this class.” It always seems that if I was required to read a book, that made if five times less interesting to me, but when I started “suffering” through this book, I wasn’t suffering at all. Mitch, I wish I could meet someone like Albert; someone who could teach me so much about life. However, just by reading this book, it seems like I have met that person.
    This book is full of so many life lessons, that can make you smile, cry, or just think. One thing that I absolutely loved was the conversation on happiness. “Be satisfied…be grateful…for what you have. For the love you receive. And for what God has given you.” (102.) I thought about this for a good while after I read it, and The Reb was right. It we are happy with what we have, and are not always needing more, we can be happy. It’s human nature to always want me, but if we learn it’s okay not to get it, happiness shall be ours.
    Another part of this book that really got to me was The Reb’s story of his atheist doctor. “…It is far more comforting to think God listened and said no, than to think that nobody’s out there.” (82.) Is this not so true! I would much rather, myself, know God IS there and he IS listening. To know he is there, helping me when I need him, and trusting me to be able to cope with things he knows I can handle, is FAR better in every way than to think there is no one there to help me in my times of trial.
    I could ramble off passages of this book that made me think about life, love, and God all day. Albert Lewis and Henry Covington are two of the most inspirational people to have ever walked earth, in my eyes. Albert, who you could have a conversation about anything with, and Henry, who has been through anything you could imagine. Both, men of God. “You’re a man of God too…Everyone is.” (227.)

SimplyBrad

My senior English IV DC teacher gave us your book “have a little faith” to read, and then assigned us to post here on your forums as a test grade. To be honest, I’m not sure if I can fully express my thoughts about this book using words, but I’ll do my best. As I read this book it made me laugh, cry, think, despair, rejoice, and ultimately change the way I look at life. While I was growing up (and continue to do so today,) I was taught that Christianity is the one true faith and that we must work to save everyone who doesn’t believe likewise. I feel that in today’s times religion has become a barrier; instead of trying to help others, people are doing nothing but condemning others and shoving their own religion down the throats of others… After reading your book and seeing how you (Mr. Albom,) have crossed the ‘barrier’, being Jewish and yet still helped Mr. Covington and his congregation (even if it was somewhat accidentally,) helped to quell my disdain towards these overzealous fanatics. I sometimes question my religion, and then I remember in your book when you and Mr. Lewis were talking and he tells a story about the atheist doctor and ends with “it’s comforting to think that God said ‘no’ than there to be no one out there at all.” I heard from someone once that doubting your religion can lead to stronger faith, which I somewhat believe in. “So, Heavenly Father, for all this, what is my reward?” And what do you think God will say? He smiled. “He’ll say, ‘Reward? What reward? That’s what you were supposed to do!” (249). Another conversation between Mr. Albom and Mr. Lewis which had an impact on me… You shouldn’t do good things because you’re expecting a reward, you should do them because it’s what you’re supposed to do and because you should want to do it.

A few weeks ago my English teacher handed us this book with the promise, “You are going to love it!” I must admit that my first thought was ‘yeah, right’. I thought I didn’t need or want to read a book about “some old man” and all his religious views. Much to my surprise, this book wasn’t that way at all. I actually loved reading it. That “old man” I thought I would dislike before reading about this book is actually someone who I wish I’d of had the privilege to meet.
    The Reb has some amazing outlooks on life, love, religion, and just about anything else you could imagine. One quote in the book that particularly stuck out to me was when The Reb says “When you come to the end, that’s where God begins” (79). I don’t think I have ever heard more true words in all my life. It’s very easy for us as people to believe that when we hit rock bottom, there is no way back up. That there is no hope for us. It’s easy to start feeling depressed and hopeless and almost forget that there’s someone out there listening to us, wanting to help. However, we also forget that God doesn’t work around our agenda, He works on His own. Just because we want a quick fix to all of our problems, doesn’t mean that’s always what we need. God knows that. So I think that this quote is saying that when you’re at your worst, God is there to start helping you back up. Although, in my opinion, if The Reb would have expanded on his idea farther, he would have added that even though God is helping us, He may do so in small ways to start with. This could lead us to believe He is not helping us at all, but in reality He really is.

In my duel credit english class at HCHS we had just finished reading the book “Have a Little Faith,” by Mitch Albom. I normally dont get interested in reading or anything. i Would rather wait until a movie came out and watch it. When My english teacher handed me this book and said you guys will love it, and that it is amazing, i was like yup aint reading this book either. Well i finally decided that i was going to just read the first few chapters and then decide from there. When i started reading the book i didnt want to quit. She would give us reading assignments every night. I would go ahead and read farther because i always wanted to know what was going to happen.”Can bad people change to become good people?” Then The Reb replied, “Yes they can, in both directions.” (pg 197).This is a inspiration to me because I know people can change in the world its just people don’t choose to. When I read this book it made me think about people today. Peoples life could really change if they decided to read this book. I mean it has a wonderful meaning to it and its not hard to read. When I read this book it has opened my eyes along with people in my class. According to the reb life is something not to play around with and not to regret cause u can only live it once so live it the right way.

LaceTurner

Have a little faith was recently assigned to my Dual Credit English Class and I thought “Oh no, not another book!” But, surprisingly this book changed my view on reading assignments…FOREVER! I absolutely loved this book and enjoyed every minute of it. I laughed, I cried, and I learned a lot from it. I guess one of my favorite parts would be when the Reb says, “That kind of love- the kind you realize you already have by the life you’ve created together- that’s the kind that lasts,”(193). This was I believe the best advice about love that I had ever heard.
    The Reb had so much wisdom and was still so humble. Reading “Have A Little Faith” made me have the feeling that I was acquainted with him personally.
    Another amazing quote from the book that I enjoyed was, “When you come to the end, that’s where God begins,”(77). This chapter of the book was talking about science and how people tried to say that how could there be a God when science explained it all. I believe the Reb was so true; God is at the end and beginning of all creation. No matter how far science wants to travel back they can never get past that one question, “Well what came before this?”
    This book was such an enjoyable read that I would read farther than what I was assigned. I would literally be taking orders at work and be reading at the same time, I never wanted to put it down. This book is very inspirational also and anyone who questioned if there was a God would be a believer by the time they got mid-way through it. Mitch Albom is a very wonderful writer and I cannot wait to read what else he has in store.LaceyTurner

My English 101 class recently completed reading your book “Have a Little Faith”, and the least I can say is that it was amazing. It was hands down, one the most wonderful books I have ever read. From page to page, I experienced endless goose bumps, and there were countless times where my eyes filled with tears and I felt choked up. I think Have a Little Faith could give hope to the hopeless, bring God into the lives of the God-fearing, and widen the minds of the close-minded. Your book could easily be considered art. It was amazing the way two completely different people from entirely different backgrounds could be so much alike. It almost seems like a message to everyone screaming “People are people!” And telling us that we are not that different from one another—stop the hate!
    This actually brings me to one of my favorite parts of the book, “‘but what if someone from another faith won’t recognize yours? Or wants you dead for it?’ ‘That’s not faith. That is hate… and if you ask me, God sits up there and cries when that happens’” (160-161). I LOVE this part of the book! I could not agree more. When you really think about all the past and ongoing wars, they all seem to root back to one thing, faith, and I do not believe for one second that God approves of one of his children killing another for their beliefs.
    One of my very top moments in the book Is definitely when The Reb says that everyone should repent exactly one day before they die. When you asked “but how do you know it’s the day before you die?” he replied, “exactly,” and shivers immediately went down my spine. That is, in my opinion, some of the best advice a person could give, and the best way a person could live.

Over the past few weeks, my English class has been on this wonderful journey of the lives of Albert Lewis & Henry Covington through “Have A Little Faith.” There has been so many different ways that this book has touched me. If I started to describe all of them and the meanings to me, I would simply be copying the whole book onto this forum. When the idea of reading this book was brought upon my class, everybody was just like “oh no, another book,” but this book has been like no other book to me. This book is truly meaningful and deep. One of the many parts that truly touched me while reading was a conversation between Mitch and the Reb on page: 212. During this convo, the Reb says something so deep to me. He says, “Nothing haunts like the things we don’t say.” When I came across this part, I started to stop and think. I thought about all the times I could relate to, about how many times I have left words unsaid that have later came back to haunt me. I have always tried to live my life without the thoughts of “what if” being a part of any event in my life. You never really know what may happen in life if you don’t cross bridges and decide which bridges to burn. You will always live your life with a “what if” explanation to everything. The Reb had so much meaning to this phrase when it was said; it truly makes you stop and think. He made me realize that you really never know what a good thing is or what you’ve got until it’s gone and too late to get it back. This book was amazingly wonderful, and it opened my eyes to many things in life in which I had never really put thought into. The whole story in the book has had such an impact on how precious life is, especially through the story of Henry Covington and how he has turned his life around. If this man can turn his life from what it was, to what it is now, then anybody can! I’m very glad that I was able to read this book. It has been a true inspiration, and I’m very thankful that my wonderful English teacher gave us the opportunity to experience this book! Thank You Ms. McHargue!

Recently in my Dual Credit English Class, our teacher assigned us the book,”Have A Lillte Faith” by Mitch Albom. Great, just another distraction! I was jumping the conclusion way too fast. Reading this book has really changed my perspectives on not only life, but also in religion. People always say God works in mysterious ways, and they for sure was not lieing. In this book Mitch meets two people that he has never met before, and some how through many visits and conversation, they ended up being very close. The quote that really impacted me the most out of this whole book would be spotted at the main beginning. “Will you do my eulogy?” (1). Mitch and the rabbi that asked this, have never really communicated with one another before. They was just acquaintance, because Mitch would always run from the rabbi. Im just amazed by the fact that the rabbi would ask someone who barely knows him, to do his eulogy at his funeral. God played a major role in this book. Not only with helping Mitch get to know the rabbi, but also for Henry Covington to get on the right track and be for the Lord and not do things that are against his ways.”Will you save me Jesus?” he whipsered. “If I promise to give myself to you, will you save me tongiht,” (84). No matter what Henry had done in his past, the Lord is always forgiving and saved Henry that night from being shot or even killed. This book would have to be my most favorite book of all times as of right now. It really changes your perspective on how fragile life really is, and how you should never take it for granted, and how you can always turn to God on the roughest times. Thanks, Natasha

Recently my dual credit English class was assigned to read the book have a little faith. My first impression was, “Oh great, another boring book”, but you know what they say, you can’t judge a book by its cover, which absolutely true in this situation. When I began to read what the book was about my opinion changed. I decided the book would be okay. Having two completely different men from totally opposite backgrounds sounded fairly interesting but until I read the book I didn’t realize just how interesting and amazing it was. I have to admit that I am not really what you would call much of “a reader” but I think this book was absolutely amazing and I have an already recommended it to my family, friends and even my boss.
    One of my favorite parts of the book comes from page 143; the section where Mitch and the Reb are talking about marriage and love. The Reb begins talking about how love changes. You can have the infatuated kind of love, or real love—that kind of love –the kind you realize you already have by the life you’ve created together-that’s the kind that lasts. I think that this statement is so true and really makes you think about the kind of love that you have, the everlasting kind or simple infatuation?
    Have a Little Faith defiantly made me think about myself and my faith. I think that in today’s society things are to hectic and so busy all the time. When you get to be in high school you get so involved in numerous things (school, work, friends, and boyfriend/girlfriend) that you start to fade away from your faith. You become so caught up in everything else you sometimes forget whets really important in life. I think that once you pull away from your faith all is not lost; we see this in the book. The book is about losing your faith and finding it again. The book is a true inspiration and I think that everyone, all ages should read this book. It truly is wonderful.

I want to start of by saying the book “Have a Little Faith” is simply amazing. Recently, my English 101 teacher, Ms. McHargue decided she wanted us to read this book. After hearing her describe it, I was almost excited to have to read a book for school. This book is truly inspirational, and really gives a different aspect of faith. Before reading this book I never thought about how different religions can have so much in common. The Reb and Henry both had obstacles they had to face, but in the end they knew that the higher power was the one that got them through.
    When we first started reading, I started thinking about how little I knew about faiths other than mine, such as Judaism. I thought maybe it would be hard to relate to the Reb, or even a drug dealer who had became a preacher, but that is what this book was about. No matter what religion, you have strong Faith in something. The Reb, Henry Covington, and you, Mitch Albom, have been a great inspiration. Some of the questions you asked, and the conversations you had with the two really opened my eyes to the world of Faith. One of my favorite parts was the conversation between Mitch and the Reb on page 213. “… Which is why our sages tell us to repent exactly one day before we die.” It is like you took the words right out of my mouth when you said, “But how do you know it’s the day before you die?” I got goose bumps as I read this section. The Reb’s reply, “Exactly,” really made me look back on my faith. How many times do I go through the day and never thank God for what he has done? I have clothing, food and house to sleep in. Why am I blessed so much when I push God away?
    I want to add, what Henry Covington does for his church is amazing! Every man of God should be inspired by a man like that! I want to thank Mitch Albom for sharing this touching story, as well as Ms. McHargue for bringing this book to my attention. It has truly been a blessing to my life, and I would recommend it to anyone!

After reading your book “Have a Little Faith,” I feel like a whole new person and have completely different opinions on numerous things dealing with life and death. I normally don’t read books to be honest it’s much easier for me and less time consuming to just spark note everything, but I listened to what my teacher had to say and indeed did give the book a chance. That’s all I needed to give it, that one chance. Because shortly after reading the first few pages of the book I began to feel myself intertwine with the book and just like humans need air, I felt as if I needed to read this book. When I would read the book I would only read the designated pages so I had something to look forward to when I got home. No disrespect intended for you or Henry but Albert, or “The Reb,” was my favorite figure to read of in the book. I myself have not ever and probably will not ever meet someone as wise as he was. The way he is so honest with his answers to questions and the answers he gives that leave you with a feeling that says, “Wow that makes so much since and I have never thought of that that way.” My favorite quote from the book is, “God sings, we hum along, and there are many melodies, but it’s all one song – one same, wonderful, human song.” This quote to me is wonderful, and is intelligent from so many different viewpoints. To me this book is of epic proportions, in which you take a book based upon religion and turn it into something more than that. It is so interesting to me how you pieced everything in the book together. All I can say is that my class is now reading “Tuesdays with Morrie,” and I hope that it is as good as this one.

Sarah

“Have a little faith” was a recent reading assignment for my dual credit English IV class at my high school. Reading has never really been one of my favorite past times, it’s usually more of a hassle than anything. It seems that I never have the time or motivation to finish a book that I have started. “Have a Little Faith” however, was a completely different story. When I began reading, I didn’t want to stop, it sounds really cheesy but it’s the truth. I fell in love with the stories of both Albert and Henry, I felt as though the more I read, the closer I became with both of them. Albert Lewis was such a knowledgeable man, someone that could teach you a new lesson everyday. Even after his death his words are reaching out to people all over the world, inspiring us with his wisdom, challenging us to think outside of the box.
    Albert tells Mitch about how he lost his daughter to an asthma attack when she was a child. He says, “I cursed God, I asked him over and over, why her? What did this little girl do?” Mitch then asks The Reb if he felt guilty for cursing God, Albert replies, “No because even in doing so I was recognizing there was a greater power than me.” (180). I can barely imagine how it would feel to lose a child. I find it amazing that Albert didn’t turn his back on God after this tragedy. His faith pulled him through.
    I love that Albert Lewis had such an open mind about other religions. Mitch asks, “Why did God create but one man? Why, if he meant for there to be faiths bickering with each other, didn’t he create that from the start?” Albert replies with this eye opening statement, “Because we are all from that one man- and all from that one God. That’s the message” (160). I find it hard to be one hundred percent positive that my faith is better or more correct than the person’s beside of me. Who’s to say that I’m in the right, when others with different faiths believe this as well? Mr. Lewis taught me that there is a possibility that I could be wrong; that my faith could have a few kinks that need to be worked out, but then again, maybe not. I just know that in the grand scheme of things, all faiths branch from that one God. An amazing book, i loved it!

Recently my wonderful English teacher discovered a new book that she felt was absolutely amazing. She thought it was so great that she should share it with my classmates and I. I have to say that as much as I was dreading reading this book I actually did enjoy it, actually I enjoyed it a lot. The book was full of many inspiring sections and others that reminded me of myself. One part in particular the I can relate to in, my life is a section from page 144.
    He on occasion, told the joke about a man who complains to his doctor that his wife, when angry, gets historical. “You mean she gets hysterical. “The doctor says. “No, historical”, the man says “She lists the history of every wrong thing that I have ever done!”
    As amusing as I found this part it also reminded me of the relationship between my girlfriend and me. I love her dearly but she is just like that, all the time (I mean that literally). No matter what the fight is over, it can be completely her fault but she doesn’t want it to seem like that so she brings up anything and everything that she can think of to take the attention of the problem from herself to me. I guess she thinks if she makes me feel bad enough about past things then I won’t be so mad at her and the fight will end sooner. All it really does thought is make me angrier, maybe one day she will learn.
    On a more serious note I think that this book can be life changing if you just give it a chance. Some books are written for mere entertainment but not this one. This book is full of lessons and advice that that we can all use throughout life. I believe this book is one that should be read by many people and I will defiantly recommend it to friends and family.

Sarah

My English class has just recently finished reading the book “Have A Little Faith” and I must say that it is now my all time favorite book. For the most part I have never liked to just sit an read but once I began reading this book I couldn’t put it down. I don’t even know how to put in words how great the book actually was. Every page had so much to offer. Something about the book that really stands out in my mind is the way that with every situation that was addressed between the reb and Mitch the reb would always give you a different perspective to look at the situation from. At times the words of wisdom that came from the reb would literally give me chill bumps. His words were AMAZING. One of my favorite parts of the whole book was on page 145 when the reb an Mitch were talking about a good marriage and the Mitch ask the reb “what if you don’t commit?” an the reb says “your choice. But you miss what’s on the other side… a happiness you can’t find alone.” I had never really thought about it like that but the happiness of true love is something that you could truly never experience by yourself, and who wants to spend life alone? Even though I love every page of this book one other parts that I absolutely love was the sermon from the reb on page 111 when the little girl is at the airport an the lady says she doesn’t have a home an the little girl replies.. “But we do have a home we just don’t have a house to put it in.” That is a lesson that is very important because it really is the people in your life that are most important not the materials.
    Hannah calton

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest