Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts

This topic contains 54 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Malbom 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Stacey

My English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie and I love it! I have started to look at life in a whole new way thanks to reading the story of Morrie. Almost everything that he says really hits home with just about everyone. He is so inspirational, so blunt, and just so right. He seems to just have all the answers that we’re looking for.
    One of my favorite quotes from the book would have to be on the bottom of page 43 in italics. “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. . . The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” Wow. That’s so true, in my life; I have wasted so much time doing things because those things were important to other people, like my family or my friends; but not to me. Morrie’s right, the way to have a fulfilling and meaningful life is to do things that give your life purpose. Don’t just base your whole life on reaching the goals that will make everyone around you happy, spend your life reaching the goals that give YOU purpose and make YOU happy.
    Another quote that I just love is on page 18 and it says “Learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others”. For me personally, that is one of the hardest things to do. I’ve never been able to just say “Yeah, I messed up. Oh well, I forgive myself.” I’ve always just spent all kinds of time analyzing every detail of what was wrong until I got tired of it and just quit thinking about it. I never let it go. I never really forgave myself or the other person; I just pushed it all away. The problem with that is sometimes it just creeps back up. Forgiveness is important, and Morrie knew that, and he wanted us to know that.
    On page 118 when Morrie and Mitch are talking about envy, Morrie says “It’s very simple. As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed at twenty-two, you’d always be as ignorant as you were at twenty-two. Aging is not just decay . . . It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die . . . it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.” I really like this whole entire section of the book. To me, it means that even if you’re aging or dying you should find the best in that. You should live your life even more, don’t sulk and just waste you’re last little bit of time sad. Go out, make a difference, and do what makes you happy. Do things you’ve always wanted to do. Aging and death will happen no matter what, just understand that and half of the battle is won.

Bamag015

Recently, my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdasy with Morrie. At first I didn’t think it would be good, but as I read the book more my thoughts changed. I always look for quotes on the internet, but now I look up quotes in this book. Morrie’s words are inspirational to me and I’m thankful to Mitch for writing this.
    “Dying is only one thing to be sad over…Living unhappily is something else.” (p. 35). I thought this quote had a lot of meaning in it. So many people today do pointless things that they don’t like. They think they want money or the biggest house, but in truth they won’t be happy with it. If you’re not happy with how your life is going, then you’re not really living at all. Life will become something of a job to you. Who would want that? Why not live happily and then when you do feel like you’re dying you won’t be unsatisfied. Morrie taught me that none of those things really matter. I sure don’t want to die feeling unsatisfied.

“Accept the past as the past, without denying it or discarding it.” (p. 18). This quote meant the most to me I believe because it’s the truest. The past is the past. No matter how hard you try you can’t change it. The only choice is to accept it and not forget. If you try to forget about it, you could end up doing the same things again. I think of them as lessons. The things in my past helped shape me into whom I am today. Without the mistakes, heartbreaks, or joy, I don’t know who I would be. It’s a part of life, so suck it up and move on. I want to look forward to the future not live in the past.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” (p. 52). This quote that Morrie says is the hardest for me to follow. I’m not the type to open up to people, and that means it’s hard for me to open up my heart as well. I’m alright with giving out love. That is no problem to me at all; I like to do it actually. But I don’t take well into letting it come in. I don’t reject people when they’re nice or trying to love me, but I also don’t let them close to my heart. There are so many things that could go wrong and no one likes the feelings of betrayal. However, on the other hand no one wants to be alone. And I admit that what I’m doing is nothing more than an illusion. I’m still reading this book and Morrie’s words make me want to try. Though it will be difficult. (:

“A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” (p.79). This quote by Henry Adams makes me think of Morrie. How many people has his words touched thanks to Mitch? I’ve never met Morrie, but in a way it feels like I know him. Morrie is an amazing teacher and an even more amazing person. I know I will never forget him. Thank you again for writing Tuesdays with Morrie. (:

Recently my English 101 class has been reading the book “Tuesdays With Morrie.” Personally, I think this book is amazing! I love it! Morrie is so interesting and the things he says really touch me deeply. The way he fights his disease and more importantly keeps a positive outlook about the whole thing and life in general is very inspiring. Throughout this book he says a few things that really stand out, sayings that really make me think and kind of hit close to home. Not just in my life but issues in my mind and heart as well.

One thing that Morrie says that really speaks to me is on page 18. He says “Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do.” I love this quote because I think it is a statement that everyone should realize. In my life personally, I’ve always had a problem with wanting to change things that I couldn’t or things I had no control over. And when I couldn’t, I would beat myself up or blame myself for not being able to. I think people just have to learn that they cannot do everything. They can’t change everything for the good or the way that they want it. That is something I’ve had to learn the hard way and I think it is important for everyone to understand.

Another quote from Morrie that really inspires me is one yet again on page 18. He says “Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it.” I really like when he says this because it is such a helpful message that can help you in many areas of your life. I think you have to kind of let your past go and not dwell on the things that you have done wrong or mistakes that you have made. Everyone makes mistakes and to just sit and dwell on them would make you miserable. It would make anyone miserable. So instead of constantly reminding yourself of them try to just accept them for what they are. But also by not dwelling on them that doesn’t mean to just forget about them. Like Morrie says you should “accept it without denying it or discarding it” because by not forgetting , you can learn from your mistakes and prevent future ones from occurring.
    The final quote that I’m going to write about that really meant something to me is on page 43. Morrie said “so many people walk around with a meaningless life…devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” This is one of the most inspirational quotes in the whole book, in my opinion. It tells how a person should devote their lives by not spending all their time on the day to day rituals that many of us fall into and to spend it the right way. Really understanding life and letting love in. I know in my life I have a day to day routine that I always follow and I almost tuned the good things in life out. When I heard this though, it has really opened me up and made me think a little. Made me consider how my life is and all the good things in it. That is why I love this quote so much.
    So that is a few quotes from the book “Tuesdays with Morrie” that I have really enjoyed. This book is amazing and the things Morrie says really seem to make sense and apply in my life. I’m really happy to have been introduced to this book and I can’t wait to continue reading it in class.

Momma17

I was introduced to Tuesdays with Morrie in my Eng. 101 Class and I have enjoyed this book so much. It’s different reading a story about the process of one’s death week to week. Seeing how every moment is worth so much. I love Morrie’s courage to share his story. I don’t think I’d ever be as open about my death as what he is. There were several quotes and aphorisms that caught my attention and made me think. So here’s just a few:
    P.103 “Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent.” This says so much in the simplest of ways. It, to me, says that what you may have at one time, doesn’t mean you will have it forever. If you cling to something then it will be harder to let go in the future. If you do not cling and just take in and let go, then there is no hurt when the goodbye comes, because like Morrie says “… everything is impermanent…” Goodbye will come, and it’s best to not hang on.
    P.83 “…We really don’t experience the world fully, because we’re half-asleep, doing things we automatically think we have to do.” This makes so much sense to me. It kind of opened my eyes a little when I first read it. I didn’t really realize how you could be half-asleep until I really thought about it. We do most things because we think we have to. Usually everyone has a routine. Almost all of the routines are the same. We wake up, work, pay the bills, take care of the kids, etc. After that there isn’t much else to it. Though there could be. We could do the things we want to do every now and then, instead of doing what we think we have to do. We could make it more than routine, and constantly switch things around and make life seem more worth living. Do something different take more effort, more energy. Doing the usually things takes nothing. No thought, hardly any effort, it’s just done. Hints how we are only half-asleep. Or well that’s how I see it anyways.
    P.122 “Fate succumbs many a species: one alone jeopardizes itself.” –W.H Auden
    This confused me a little at first. I understood how every species has a fate of its own, but the one alone? I didn’t have a clue. I thought about this quote constantly after reading. Then it slowly came together for me. One alone can make one small decision and jeopardize its fate. Change the fate to something complete opposite of before. Possibly, even change the fate to simple extinction. It’s intriguing to think about, how just one thing could change the fate of so much. How one decision could make a difference on how your fate turns out, it’s interesting isn’t it?

Momma17

P.103 “Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent.” This says so much in the simplest of ways. It, to me, says that what you may have at one time, doesn’t mean you will have it forever. If you cling to something then it will be harder to let go in the future. If you do not cling and just take in and let go, then there is no hurt when the goodbye comes, because like Morrie says “… everything is impermanent…” Goodbye will come, and it’s best to not hang on.

Recently my dual credit english 101/english four class as of about three weeks ago has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie in and out of our class. I absolutly love this book because it is emotionally uplifting and it is also a great story that teaches you about the love for others and there are alot of great meaningful quotes but so far there were three in this book that really stood out to me and really meant a lot to me because theystruck me on an emotional level .
    On of the quotes comes from page 52 and was said by Morrie it said “Let it come in. We think that we dont deserve love, we think if we let it in we will become too soft…..’Love is the only rational act’-This means to me that no matter what the struggles you face that you can always find love and it will always make since to you.
    My second quote comes from page 40 and it is also said by Morrie is said ” Love wins. Love always wins.”- this means to me that you can trust your heart at all times no matter the struggles that you face or the journeys you are going through. Love will always prevail against the biggest odds.
    My third qoute comes from page 10 and again is said by Morrie it said ” Study me in my slow and patient demise. Watch what happens to me. Learn with me.”- This means to me that Morrie cared so much about his family and friends that he was willing to let them all study him and basically treat him like a lab rat and it did not phase him at all, he didn’t care at all because I personally believe that he knew he had live a fulfilling life and was perfectly content with ths simple fact he was going to die.
    All of three of these mean alot to me because they do hit me on an emotional level. This book is one of the true great book that can cause a big change in your life and the way that you look at the the way you live it. I honestly think that anyone who reads this can and will be changed.

Recently I have been reading Tuesdays with Morrie, in all honesty this is probably one of the best books I’ve ever read, and there are a few quotes I was drawn to or had a personal connection with:

(P.52) One quote I was drawn to is “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give love out, and to let it come in.” For me this is a very personal thing. I can say that I believe that almost no one person truly knows what to do with love. So many people tell each other that they love each other but they don’t truly know the meaning of this. Love is not just a word to me, it’s a sense of feeling, a since of knowing that no matter what that there is at least this one, or few, people will be here for you no matter what you do. Love is not a thing I take likely, but when I do say that I love something or someone I mean it.

(P.43) another quote I was drawn to is “So many people walk around with a meaningless life…the way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others…” This was such a touching quote to me because of the reality of it all. People walk around every day living alone without a since of purpose, without a knowing of what they are meant to do or be. But if you accept the fact that you have a purpose, a calling, a knowing that you are here for a reason you will find meaning in this life. I think I have found my calling in the fast food industry, and of all places McDonalds. Knowing that every happy meal I sell, every penny I put in the charity box gives a needy child hope for a brighter day, a knowing that someone out there really cares and isn’t just saying they do.

(P.91) a final quote I was drawn to, probably the most touching and short one I was drawn to is “love each other or perish.” YES, this is all I have to say to this. Give a since of love to the world, love everyone not just a select few people. Live your life giving it to others. I am nowhere near a “Christian” person but I firmly believe that no matter what you should love people, regardless of how they are. Don’t dwell on what people have done to you, look at what they haven’t done to you, what good they have in them and love them for it. If someone is smart then don’t dislike them because they may have a better grade than you, love them for it.

Here are a few of the many life lessons Morrie has left us with, and how I reacted to them

Nickcox17

For the past few weeks my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie. This is an emotional, but uplifting book. I personally love the book. There are so many things in the book that Morrie has said that makes me think, or that I agree with. The following are examples of each.”The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” (Pg. 52) This is a very strong quote that I believe in. In today’s world, many people are blinded by all of the materialistic influence that is prevalent throughout society. They’re forced into believing that if you don’t have a six digit annual income, a multimillion dollar mansion, a fancy car, or money just to blow around on anything and everything that you’re not good enough. That is what causes people to lose sight of what is truly important, which is love toward all. I personally believe that without love, a person is worthless, whether they have all of the previously mentioned things or not. Without love, there is no kindness. There is no mercy, no goodness at all. Without love we are nothing. That’s what Morrie was talking about when he said this. He was talking about showing love to everyone not just the people close to us. Everyone deserves love, some believe that they don’t, but “Love is the only rational act.” (Pg. 52) This is what makes us human. Nothing else can love the way that we, as humans, do.”You see…if you’re ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them too-even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” This is by far my most favorite quote in Tuesdays with Morrie simply because I can relate it to myself. I’m not a person that can give my trust out to everyone. I’ve had so many problems being able to trust people. I’ve been lied to so many times, and it’s just hard to give people chances, but that’s not right. Yeah, I can go around and tell everyone (my friends and family) that they can trust me. I try my best to be someone that can help out no matter the problem, if someone wants to come to me they can, but yet I won’t go to anyone with my problems. It’s just hard to give my trust out with the things that I’ve been through. But after I came across this quote in the book, I started thinking. How am I going to be trusted if I’m not giving out my trust in return? Answer is simple: I’m not. They’re never going to tell me everything that is going on if they know that my trust isn’t with them, and I finally understand why my friends and family never come to me to talk. I bet though that if I were to open up to them, to tell them some of the things that are going on in my life, they’d be more apt to want to talk to me about their problems as well.

JCarroll

There are many quotes in this book that came from Morrie that I absolutely love. There are a few that are very close to my heart though. One of them is what he says on (pg. 82): “Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live”. In my mind, I think of this that most never even think or care about their death at all unless they have to worry about it. So these people who have no worry of death just try to go through life normally. But you can be assured that when these people find out that their going to die, THEN they try to live life by the fullest. So basically, what I think that Morrie is trying to let Mitch know is, live life to the fullest while you’re still at a young age. In (pg. 18), he wrote down a quote which states “Accept the past as the past…” I love this quote because I do believe myself that you don’t need to grieve about the bad things that have happened in your past. There’s no changing the past no matter what you did. It’s permanent. The more you grieve about your past, the more it can affect all of the possible great things that you could do in your future. If you think on something that happened in the past that is good and positive, then you can very well accept it as a good thing. Even if it’s bad, accept it just as much as you would if it was good, learn from the mistake you made, and look on to the things that you can do in your future. Another quote here made me step back and think a little bit on how I need to plan my life. On (pg. 64), he quotes “We’re so wrapped up with egotistical things, career, family, having enough money…” I agree with this so much because in these times now, people are always trying to get their hand on the newest thing all of the time. People always say “I have to get this new car” or “I have buy this and that”. You need to step back and look at your life and think about what you’re truly doing. These types of egotistical people need to do something that would give them a much better purpose. Buying material things will not give them much purpose. I also believe that behind this quote is another quote that connects to it that saying: ‘There’s a huge difference between a need and want’. People always say “I NEED a sports car” and “I NEED a large two-story house”. What you really need is love and friendship. Those material things will eventually go away, but that love and friendship will always be there.

Recently, my English 101 class has been studying Mitch Albom and his work with the legendary man, Morrie Schwartz. Reading Tuesdays with Morrie has changed the way I look at many aspects of my life. From teaching me how to value family to learning to love and live responsibly, Morrie’s lessons have impacted me in more ways than one.
    One of my favourite quotes from the book is when Morrie is discussing the tension of opposites and how most of us live in the middle- somewhere between what we know is right, and what we actually do. When Mitch asks which side wins, Morrie says, “Love wins. Love always wins” (p.40). This bold statement is just that- bold. But it is also very true. When it comes down to it, we should always choose love. Without love, we can’t be, as Morrie calls it, fully human. To be able to give and receive love means that we are able to trust others and we can be trusted. This quote means so much to me because it reminds me of the love of God. It reminds me of the sacrifice of His son, and how God’s unconditional love is above all else. Jesus demonstrated the ultimate love, the love that defeats all doubt and fear, the love that brings hope and true peace, through his death and resurrection. Everything else is cast into shadow when true love is present. With all the darkness in our world, love is the only thing that can change our hearts. We must choose the love of someone else over the hurt that they have done to us, or the pain that we have been caused. We must choose love for our families and friends over our dedication to material things like wealth. Love wins the fight.
    Another one of my favourite quotes is when Morrie is discussing culture. He says, “The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves… if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it” (p.42). This is so true. Today’s culture is so concerned with looking and acting a certain way that the people who might look and act differently are considered different or strange. Our culture should encourage people to be individuals. It should encourage us not to try and fit ourselves into the mold that society has created for the perfect person, but to be ourselves, to be beautiful in our imperfections. We, as citizens, also have to be strong enough to decide when our culture isn’t working. As individuals, we have to realize what is happening and have the courage to choose otherwise for ourselves than what people say we should be.
    Tuesdays with Morrie is definitely a book like no other. When I put it down after reading a few pages, it leaves me thinking about what I read and about my own life. I want to take Morrie’s advice to love as much as possible and to allow myself to always be fully human.

Recently my English 101 class in high school has been reading Tuesdays With Morrie. While reading the book I have found alot of quotes, conversations, and storys that I have really enjoyed and they mean something to me. Each and every word in the book is amazing, but here are some of what my favorites have to be.
    “Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do; accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it; learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others; don’t assume its too late.” (P.18). I always believe that its too late. Its too late to accept my past, to move on and make peace with it. Its too late to fix what might be broken, its too late to forgive myself and others. Is it that I’m afraid, embarrassed, scared, just don’t know how, or maybe all of the above. This is something i’ve never thought about before until I read it out of the book. Morrie’s words and how he lives by them when so many other people, including me, find it so difficult to do, it inspires me.
    “Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do something, but you are bound to something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldn’t. You take certain things for granted… So which side wins? Love wins. Love always wins.” (P. 40). Beautiful, isn’t it? Love is the key to success, we all know that, but in the midst of being pulled back and forth we forget and our battle is unsuccessful. If we would only listen to Morrie’s words and fight for love, or with love then i believe in the end we will win. Morrie has showed me that i should start focusing more on love when I go through these pulls and I will do so.
    “Without love we are birds with broken wings.” (P.92). I believe that without love were just going through life looking for something to complete it. Without love our life is empty, uncompleted. Each and every person on this planet is meant to find love, and not just for something, but for someone. Rather its a parents, grand-parent, sibling, significant other, your child, or a close friends, we are meant to find love and have it in out lives. I believe that if Morrie was still alive he would agree with me and I think him for his words.
    In conclusion, Morrie has some very inspritaul words of wisdom and I highly recomend this book for everyone. I have enjoyed what i’ve read in the book so far and cannot wait to finish.

Caleb.81

Here for the past few weeks, my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I’m not much of a reading person, but this book has changed my total outlook of reading. Its amazing how Morrie lived the last part of his life in acceptance of death. Along with his final footsteps of life he left some great quotes that relate to me and my life. One quote that really stood out to me was “Don’t cling to things, because everything is impermanent.” (p. 103) I’ve never been clingy about anything, so I feel like this quote really speaks out to me. It also has helped me with letting go of somethings that Ive lost in the past such as family members that have passed away and friends that have came and went. Another quote that really stood out to me was “When you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” (p.104) I’ve learned that life is always going to be to short, and most people live in fear of death. What this quote means to me is that when you finally come to decission to accept that death is going to happen and that is one of the only promises in this world, you can finally live your life. I’ve came to the conclusion that I dont fear it, because it will happen, this quote gave me strength to realize that, and by doing so I feel like my lifes improved a little each day. “… love is how you stay alive, even after your gone.”(p.133) This quote really stood out to me, because Ive always been afraid of being forgotten after I pass on. With this quote on mind I realize that Im loved by many of people,not incliding family. Ive been scared of being forgotten because at times I catch myself forgetting some of my lost loved ones, but then I always remember them, because I do and always will love them. The strongest quote would have to be “So many people walk around with a meaning less life… This is because they are chasing the wrong thing… and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” (p.43) This has to be the strongest one towards me, because almost everyone has devoted their lives trying to understand the meaning behind life. Myself I have sat and thought about what my meaning and purpose was, and this quote connects to me where it mentions helping others. My whole life I’ve never worried about what Ive wanted, but more of what everyone else wanted and what made them happy. Even though ther are many other quotes that Morrie has said that speak to me and my life, these were the few I think spoke more to me and related so much more to me and life, and even helped me understand some obstacles.

Rcw12

I have recently been reading Tuesdays With Morrie with my English class. To be honest, I wasn’t exactly thrilled when I heard we would be reading it. Non-Fiction books just aren’t my cup of tea. However, this book hasn’t been like the others. I’ve found quite a few quotes that really hit home for me. Listed below are just a few.

“If you don’t have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don’t have much at all. . . . And it’s so true. Without love, we are birds with broken wings.” (Pages 91 & 92) Growing up, I’ve always been close to my family members. You know, cook-outs, holiday celebrations, the works. But when you have a family member pass away, it can really take a toll. For me, this quote means so much more than not having that love at all, but taking that love for granted; you never really have the love of a person if you take it for granted. After the last living grandparent I had left, my grandma, passed away, I realized just how much I didn’t fully appreciate the opportunity to spend time with her. Yes, we were close, but in her last days we were inceperable. Although I have accepted her death and moved on, in those first days after her passing, I felt like a bird with broken wings.

Another wonderful thing the Morrie said was when he answered Ted Koppel when asked what he would do once he and his friend, Stein, were unable to communicate. Morrie said, “We will hold hands, and there’ll be a lot of love passing between us. . . . You don’t need speech or hearing to feel that.” (Page 71) Think of a time when you’ve really been upset, maybe too upset to speak. You have some friends that may come up to you and ask you what’s wrong. You have others who will just walk over and embrace you in a warm hug because they know that sometimes, you don’t need to speak, you just need someone to be there. That’s how I felt about this quote. When you have that one friend who just knows you inside and out, it doesn’t take hearing or speech to know that.

Lastly, one of my favorite parts in the entire book is fond on page 18. “Learn to forgive yourselves and to forgive others.” So many times we get wrapped up in our on will to hold grudges. Sometimes it may be that other people look for us to still be angry at a person for something they have done to us in the past. But that’s just it–It’s the past. There is nothing we can do to alter it. To begrudge someone takes so much mental strain that it’s not worth one’s time. This quote, for me, ties into when Mitch talks about how Morrie said he allowed himself to feel every emotion, but to detach himself from it. With any negative emotion, we have to be able to let go. With everything, there is a time to let go. Let go and learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others.

As you can see, there are many things to learn from Morrie Schwartz. This is definitely a read for anyone wanting to learn how to appreciate things in life. As I continue to read Tuesdays With Morrie, I hope to gain many more life lessons from a great man.

Mandalynn

My senior english class is reading Tuesdays with Morrie. When I first started reading the book I didn’t think I was going to like it very much. But now I am over half way through the book and I really like it. There are many great quotes in this book. I really like what Morrie says on page 81 when they are talking about death and Morrie says, “Everyone knows they’re going to die, but nobody believes it.” I really like this quote because it it so true. Death is a very real and a very difficult thing. It is something everyone has to face but we don’t want to, so we try to deny it. It really is a hard thing to tell yourself that you are not always going to be here, that there will be a day when you will have to face death. I know in my life, I know people that have died but I can’t imagine myself dying right now. But Morrie is a example that death is a real thing and I think he is different from most people because he knows it’s going to happen and he accepts it. His advice to us is on page 81 where he says, “To know you’re going to die, and to be prepared for it at any time.” This is a very good way to look at life because you have no choice but to face death. You need to be prepared and not regret the way you have lived your life.Probably my favorite part of the book so far is on page 40 where Morrie and Mitch are talking about the tension of opposites. “Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing but you are bound to do something else…” Mitch compares this to a wrestling match and asks which side wins and Morrie replies, “Love wins. Love always wins.” I love this so much because love is such an important thing in life. Because life is always going to pull you in different directions and you are always going to have to face hard thing in life and a lot of the time you don’t know how do deal with it. What he says is look to where love comes in. Because love is the greatest thing that there is in life. Everything good is based on love. Without love we have nothing and it will “always win” if you put it first in your life. Morries loved others and that is what he encouraged Mitch and others to do. it is an important thing to have and you can’t be happy with out it.

Alexis_G

My senior English 101 class has recently been reading Tuesdays With Morrie, and I would have to say that it is one of the most loving, and touching books that I have ever read. It is just simply one of the best books I have ever laid my hands one, and i’m glad that I had the opportunity to read it. Morrie was such an inspirational person, and I would have loved to have been able to meet him. His words had such power, and have touched my heart in so many way. My outlook on life change completely since I began reading this amazing book. Many of Morrie’s aphorisms have really touched me, and made an impact on my life. It was really hard to choose just a few of them, but here are some of my absolute favorites.

“Forgive yourself before you die. Then forgive others.” (p.164) By reading this, I began forgiving just about everyone that had ever hurt me, or had done anything hurtful to me that I was holding a grudge against. There is no reason to hold a grudge on someone for forever, you never know when it might be your time to die. It could be today, tomorrow, or 50 years from now, we don’t know. So why not be friends or have conversation with people, because they did something to hurt you at one point in time, it could be the last time you see them, and you don’t want your last words to somebody to be something hateful. So make up with people, and forgive yourself for anything you may regret doing or saying.

“If you don’t have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don’t have much at all. Love is so supremely important.” (p.91) My family, is my everything. With out them I would have nothing. They are my inspiration, my light, my joy, my reason for waking up in the mornings, and my haven in this heartless world. If I didn’t have my wonderful family, I truly don’t know where I would be. I am extremely blessed to be able to the caring and loving family that I have, and I thank God for them every chance I get. They are exactly what Morrie says, my love and support.

“Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too – even when you’re in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” (p.61) This is so true. If you are EVER going have anybody to trust you, you have to trust them first. I mean come on, how can you trust somebody if they don’t trust you? You Can’t. You need to trust everybody, that is until they break your trust, even then you must be able to give them just a little bit of your trust when needed. Even if you have been hurt, even when you’re unsure, even when you’re in the dark.

Morrie was a extraordinary person, and I cant wait to finish reading this book.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest