Thoughts

Home Forums Tuesdays with Morrie Thoughts

This topic contains 54 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by  Malbom 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

ZachDixon

Recently my English 101 class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I dont really read that often, but I really like this book. It has tought me a lot about death. Mainly not to die a sad death, but to live while you are dieing. I know it sounds corney but its true. Because if you find out that you only have so long to live. Why spend the entire time dreading what is coming, when you can try and live what time you have left to the fullest? So by saying that, here are some of my favorite quotes from the book Tuesdays with Morrie.One of my favorite quotes is “How can I be envious of where you are , when I’ve been there myself?” You can find this on page 121.This is most definitaly one of my favorite quotes in the whole book. The reason I really like this is because he is saying that, all the time people are always saying to themselves “I wish I could go back to the old days”, but why would you want to do that? You have already had your time to be a kid, you have already had your time to be in highschool, you have already had your time to have children. So why go back? You have already had your time to do all of those things, so live where you are right now and dont live in the past. I really agree with this because I also would never go back to change anything… Ive had my time there.Another one of my favorite quotes is “It’s horrible to watch my body… I get to say good-bye. Not everyone is so lucky.” You can find this on page 57.This quote inspires me a lot. Because through the whole book he never seems sad at all about his disease. I mean of course he would rather not have to go through all of this, but he never (so far) has really been depressed about it. But once again instead of self-loathing all the time he has decided to make the best of his time left to live. And he is completely right… Some people die a sudden death and they never get to say goodbye to theyre loved ones. But Morrie on the other hand does, he gets all of this time that the doctor has gave him to live to tell everyone that he knows and loves, goodbye. And that is amazing to me. Instead of hating everything that has happened to him, he is doing the opposite of what most people would do, and that is taking advantage of the situation.And finally, my favorite quote in the entire book. It is when Morrie is doing his first interview with Ted Koppel and in that interview Ted asks Morrie what he dreaded most about having a slow and coming death, and Morrie asked if he could say this on television. Ted told him it was fine, and Morrie replied with this “Well, Ted, one day soon, someone’s gonna have to wipe my ass.” I know, I know, most people would say that im just a teenager that thinks this line is funny because he cusses in a book that im reading in my English 101 class, but to be honest, this quote means a lot to me. Because to me this is saying that out of all of the things that are going on in his life this is the least that he is worried about. I mean the doctor just had told him that he pretty much has an expiration date. Yet he is only worried about someone having to wipe his butt.I think that Morrie is an amazing individual. After reading as far as I have in this book, I am very sad and dissapointed that I never got the privalige to meet him. I know that if I did meet Morrie that I would be a much better person because he has so many amazing life lessons and they are just amazing.So those are my favorite quotes in the book Tuesdays with Morrie. I hoped you liked them because I know I did! And if you havnt had a chance to read this book… GO OUT AND GET IT! This book is definatly worth the money.

Just recently my English 101 class started reading Tuesday’s with Morrie. This book now has a special place in my heart. It has grabbed my attention and I am in love with it, all because of one man, Morrie Schwartz. This book has touched me, in more ways than I could ever count. There are so many quotes that really touched my heart, that it’s really hard to only choose just a few, but here are a few of my favorites.
    One quote I absolutely love is, “….Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too—even when you’re in the dark…” pg. 61. This part really grabbed my attention and my heart. I thought about it for days after I first read it. It reminds me that not everything you see is the truth that you have listen to your heart and believe. We as people always want trust in our relationships but, like Morrie says, in order to have others trust us, we must first trust them even if we’re not always on the good end.
    “Everyone knows they’re going to die, but nobody believes it.” pg. 80. This statement is so true. We all know we cannot live forever and that there is no physical way possible that we can. So we realize that we are eventually going to die somehow, someway. Most times we always imagine we’re going to die at a really old age after living a long, full life. We never want to accept that our life may end at any moment. We’re not promised the next breath we breathe, yet we think we are. It really hits home and makes you want to live your life like Morrie did, which was with his family and those he loved.
    “…once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” pg. 82. I think I felt so connected to this quote for the simple fact that my family has been so close to death here lately. Too close might I add. After being around death and those dying you realize that when the person realizes that they’re dying, they seem to live life more than those of us who seem healthy. The person who is dying knows that they have a short amount of time and are not afraid of death, so they embrace it and life. They live like they’ve never lived before, because they know they have a short time to live it.
    Those are only a few of the many, many things Morrie has said that I’ve fallen in love with. Everything Morrie said, has so much meaning and passion behind it that it’s almost impossible not to love everything he says. He could talk about anything at all and still not upset people. He has that air about his words that make most people, well me anyway hang onto each word. I cannot wait to read more about Morrie as we finish this book!

Recently in my English 101 class our professor assigned us to read Tuesdays with Morrie. I am by no means an avid reader, however I found myself with the inability to put the book down. Morrie was such a fascinating with so much wisdom. It seemed as if everything he said was profoundly inspirational. Some examples of some of the quotes that really moved me were:
    “…you closed your eyes. That was the difference. Sometimes you cannot believe what you see, you have to believe what you feel. And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too…” (pg.61) A truer statement has never been said. I personally have a connection with this, because as a multi-sport athlete I have found that a blind trust in others is neccessary, especially in times of fear and doubt. But it’s not just that way with sports. Morrie shows us that to have the full expierence of life you must build relationships with people, but in those relationships there must be a sense of trust from both people that one will trust theirself as well as the other to make the right descions to prevent harmfrom happening to the other. Just as Morriw showed in his expieriment.
    “Love is how you stay alive, even after your gone.” (pg.133) This really made me think critically about my life. What have I done to affect those around me? What will I be remembered for? Granted, for the time being, I am still an 18 year old high school student with the rest of my life to live, but if I am going to live eternally in the hearts and minds of others, it would probably be a good idea to start making my everlasting impact on people today and not wait until it is too late. It also shows how powerful love can be. Love is the reason why people live. It is what we seek in everything we do, and it is those who display the most and the least amount of love that are remembered the most for the things they did (like Jesus and Hitler, Jesus showed love to everyone and Hitler showed no love to anyone, but both are legends of their own time).
    “We… need to forgive ourselves… For all the things we didnt do. All the things we should have done. You can’t get stuck on the regrets of what should have happened.” (pg. 166) I love this. None of us are perfect, and there are always going to be things we wish we would have done differently, but like Morrie stresses to us in the book, we are all human and we should embrace it. If we cling to all this unneccessary regret and focus too much on the past, then we will become complacent and live our lives trapped in a never-ending cycle of misery, regreting everything we didnt do when we dont realize we are wasting time those very moments worry about something they cannot change (the past) when they could be out making new life-long wonderful memories.
    Thanks Mr. Albom for the chance to read an extraordinary piece about a truly amazing man. I feel like when he told you that you were one of the good ones, I couldnt agree more, but from where I’m standing you are also one of the luckiest ones of all. He was one of the great ones, amongst the likes of Vince Lombardi and Martin Luther King Jr. just to a different audience presented in a different way.

For the past couple of weeks I, along with the rest of English 101, have been reading Tuesdays With Morrie. Going to be completely honest, if it weren’t for my English class I would have NEVER read this book. But since I’ve been reading it I can say that it’s very emotional and touching; I love it. I wish I could’ve met Morrie and had him for a teacher, he’s awesome!!There were a few things in this book that he said that I can relate to:”Money is not a substitute for tenderness. . . neither money nor power will give you the feeling you’re looking for, no matter how much of them you have.” (p. 125)I know so many people, including myself to be honest, that think that buying things you don’t really need and caring about nothing but money will make you happy. I know now that it doesn’t. I always think that getting my next paycheck will be the highlight of my week but once I get it I don’t feel better. I mean yeah, I’ve got money now, but it doesn’t make me happy. I promised myself that I wouldn’t blow my money on pointless things, things that really didn’t mean anything to me. Money does not make someone happy and when I see someone who obsesses over money I know they’re not happy. So this quote really relates to me.”Turn on the faucet. Wash yourself with the emotion. . . “All right, it’s just fear, I don’t have to let it control me. I see it for what it is.” (p.105)I’m one of those people who fear death. I don’t like thinking about when I’m going to die or how I’m going to die, but I do it anyways. I try to live life to the fullest but then I think about what it all means in the end and it scares me. So reading this statement from Morrie really helped me to think, that I don’t need to let my feelings on death or any negative feeling have the best of me. I need to take it all in, embrace it, and just enjoy the life I have right now.I really love this book,the first twenty pages had me crying and I just can’t wait to finish it!

A life changing book. This is the phrase that i would use to sum up “Tuesdays with Morrie.” There is so many life lessons to learn reading this book and i would recommend it to any audience or age group. It is truly inspirational. These are a few quotes from the book and my opinion on why they make a large impact on peoples lives”including myself.” The first quote that caught my attention was something Morrie said. It can be found on page 82. “Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” This is such a bold statement, and i wont know the truth to this until i stare face to face with death. Or atleast i cant understand it completely. So i will rely on my trust and always keep on my mind that death is real and not ignore that one day i too will leave this earth. But who is there to say that death is a bad thing? Its all according to the eyes your looking into the world from. This means some could be more satisfied in death and not worry about their life on earth. This would be an awful fate, ofcoarse, for death is made up of what you design it as you live your life on earth. This statement from Morrie makes me want to make my life count for something and even if I only make an impact on one person then I would be suffice with it. It makes me want to treat people like I would like to be treated and always take other peoples lives into heart and truly love them. The other statement Morrie made can be found on page 61. It says ,”You closed you eyes… And if you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them too… ” This shows that you cant be selfish in trust and want people to trust you when you wont allow yourself to trust others. Most of us dont trust at all, and Morrie trying to show us to have a deep trust that completely puts your accountance into peoples hearts. This can be very difficult to do and will have to be conceived of a lot of practice and first having trust in yourself. The last one can be found on page 42. Morrie says, “The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves… dont buy it.” This quote is so important, especially in our time of day when there are so many people that set the bar and say that their way is the only way to look or act. This ofcoarse is not the way to look at things that is why we are all made to be individuals. If everyone was the same the world would be such a boring place and there would be no variety in people. Every one should try to think for themselves and develop their morals themselves.

L.Lipfird

Recently my D.C. English class has been reading Tuesdays with Morrie. I have fell in love with this book! It makes me think different about how I should live my life. There are so many quotes that Morrie has said that means something to me.

“The truth is, I do indeed have a brother . . . we used to tease him by claiming strangers had left him as a baby on our doorstep.”p.95. When I read this in the book I couldn’t believe it. I thought only my brother and sister done that to me. And I began to wonder where kids get that from. But it made me laugh knowing that people have done this to their younger brother/sister for many, many years now.

“The truth is Mitch, once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.”p.82. When I read that quote in the book I had to stop and read it again. All I could think is, how do you learn how to die? I would love to learn how to die. I know that sounds weird but, I want to learn how to live my life to the fullest.

This quote came from a flash-back that Mitch has in the book and I just kind of liked it because it had to do with baseball. “Too-dayyy . . . I feel like . . . the luckiest maaaan . . . on the face of the earth . . .”p.89. I am in love with the New York Yankees! They are my favorite baseball team and always will be so when I was reading the book and came across this I thought this was the most ironic thing to come across. Not everyday do you read a book and it talks about your favorite team of all time.

“And many of these patients were well-off, from rich families, so their wealth did not buy them happiness or contentment.”p.111. I have always heard that money can’t buy happiness. Most people that hear that doesn’t agree they think money can do anything. Morrie wasn’t one of those people. He saw first-hand that it didn’t and I think that most people should have to see that first-hand. It will be a lesson they will never forget.

These are just a small few of the quotes from the book that has touched me in some way. I think this is such a great book and has you look at your life in a new way. A better and healthier way at that. It almost wants you to go up to a dying person and just talk with them.

Ashley

Recently, I have been reading Tuesdays With Morrie in my English class. I have enjoyed it so far. It really makes me think a little different about life itself. To enjoy being around the ones I love and to try to be happy as much as I can. Morrie I have to say has really inspired me. I havent finished the book yet, but I cant wait to. I love alot of what Morrie says in this book. One of my all time favorite quotes is “Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else. Something hurts you, yet you know it shouldnt. You take certain things for granted, even when you know you shouldnt never take anything for granted. A tension of oppesites, like a pull on a rubber band. And most of us live somewhere in the middle”p40. That quate makes me think…yeah thats true. Too bad everyone doesnt see life as Morrie sees it. Maybe then, people would do alot of things differnently. Maybe the world would be just a little better. I love the quote about the Buddhists, “…Every day, have a little bird on your shoulder that asks, ‘Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to day? Am I being the person I want to be?’ “p81. I think that recently I have gained a little bird on my shoulder. Except I think mine says, ‘Be happy, as you want to be happy. Do as much good as you can in your life before you cant anymore’. Yeah, I think everyone needs a little bird, or maybe not even a bird, tell yourself that happiness is what you need and enjoy everything while you still have it. I dont doupt it if Morrie has inspired alot of people. As I read about him, I think maybe he is what the world needs; a little dose of Morrie. He seemed like he was such a deep, sincere man. I wish I could have met him. I really enjoy this book, and I dont even like to read! I cant wait to finish it and hope to get to read another one of Mitch Albom’s books soon.

Recently, my English 101 class began reading Tuesdays with Morrie. The book intrigued me from the very start and easily captured my attention. Many people today overlook or easily forget the perspectives Morrie had on life. One of my favorite perspectives that Morrie shared was “…if you accept that you can die at any time-then you might not be as ambitious as you are.” (pg 83) This is something that many people find hard to accept. So many value their lives through terms of accomplishments and not based on love and compassion. This quote reminds me of what is really worth striving for in life. That it’s not about rankings, or your status, or your reputation, but rather about the legacy you leave behind.Another perspective I found to be very meaningful was “People haven’t found meaning in their lives, so they’re running around all the time looking for it.” (pg 136) I completely agree with this, because sometimes the future can seem more important than the present. What could happen in the future seems more exciting than what is happening in the present, and so many forget that what they are experiencing only lasts once. Life was meant to be relished and not rushed. “If you are ever going to have other people trust you, you must feel that you can trust them, too-even when you are in the dark. Even when you’re falling.” (pg 61) Trust is an essential part of a relationship. Without it, your relationship means nothing. This reminds me of how important it is to build relationships with people you trust- that those relationships are the ones that will last and prove to be worth it.A quote that Morrie said in the book was, “Dying is only one thing to be sad over…living unhappily is something else.” (pg 35) I love this quote, because so many feel they have unhappy lives, and when they realize they have it better off than someone else, they experience a moment of gratefulness. But another moment passes, and they feel as they did before. Life was never meant to measured to a standard. Life is simply what you make of it, and if you focus on everything that makes you unhappy, your life will resemble that.These are only a few perspectives from this book that I love. Morrie’s aphorisms are full an exuberance for life. I really appreciate this book and the truth it holds in it.

Swallymom
    Participant

I’m not a teacher; instead, I’m a returning student at the young age of 54! I hope to obtain an AA in English, since writing is my passion, but I’m not focusing on the finish line, only the present time with baby steps. Right now, my first semester of English is coming to an end, but I will continue with the next required English class. I’ve enjoyed reading many wonderful essays and Hemingway stories. Now I’ll continue for the reason why I’m here…
    Have you ever felt so jazzed about something that your excitement could literally escape your heart, mind, body and soul in order to share it with the world? That’s exactly how I felt after experiencing such a fantastic evening.
    Last week, my daughter and I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Albom at Book Passage in Marin County, CA. I had just introduced Tuesdays with Morrie to her, which she read and raved about. I read about Morrie years ago, but I’m currently re-reading about him again. Mr. Albom was animated in telling how his career began; he was witty, yet humble. What I didn’t expect from this author’s event was a surprising musical twist. It was interesting to learn that music was his first love, how his life transitioned from music to writing, and how he truly believes that “talents lay inside of us and they come out when they come out.”
    My daughter and I were fascinated by his introduction for The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, the incorporating of real-life musicians into Frankie’s journey. We were able to chat with Mr. Albom for about two minutes while he signed our books and that was great.
    I just have to say how much his story about Morrie touched our hearts, and when I’m finished reading it again, I’ll venture into the music and adventure of Frankie Presto, which sounds just as evocative and meaningful as Morrie’s story. And I’ll add that I wrote a page and a half about this wonderful evening as an extra credit paper for my class. We shall see how I did on it in a few weeks! So far I have an A in the class, which makes me happy, especially after all these years.
    A Big Thanks to you, Mitch, for all the wonderful books you’ve written; for your honesty, wisdom, experiences, and your talent for changing life perspectives…
    Wishing you all the best and a Happy Thanksgiving,
    Lauren

Malbom
    Keymaster

Hi Lauren (@Swallymom),

Thank you for writing. Thank you for attending the event at Book Passage. And thank you, especially, for this very kind note. I’m thrilled to hear that Frankie’s story has touched you in this way. I wish you the best in school, and I hope you’ll come back and let me know that you got an A on your extra credit paper.

Your friend,
    Mitch

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest