Translation into Esperanto

Home Forums To Mitch Translation into Esperanto

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mitchalbom_webmaster 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Aplonis
    Participant

Looking to obtain permission for translating “Tuesdays with Morrie” into the language Esperanto. I am a long-time, hobbiest translator into Esperanto of science fiction and fantasy for works by Jack Vance and Clifford D. Simak. During one of those projects it came to my attention that another translator has made an already complete, not yet published, translation into Esperanto of “Tuesdays with Morrie”. And that yet another Esperantist had accomplished a voice-reading of this translation, himself being unaware that the translator failed in his efforts to contact the author, thereby to obtain permission for the translation. I write mainly on the narrator’s behalf, hoping to learn what arrangement might be made for permission to publish both of those, the text and the audio translations.

For my own translations of copyrighted works by the two Hugo award winning authors named above, no formal contracts were obtained, but rather somewhat informal arrangements. I paid to Jack Vance in person $500 for blanket permission to translate his works. And to the estate of of Clifford D. Simak, I more recently paid $100 for the novel Way Station. A Memorandum of Agreement was executed for the latter. Those are my own examples. But I am writing on behalf of an Esperantist in China. So then, would you consider giving permission for said Esperanto translation? Royalties would be zero, since Esperanto publishing generally operates at a loss. For print books a medium size run often takes years to sell out, if ever. I myself gave up on the dead-tree print format decades ago. All of my own translations I now just distribute for free as e-books and MP3 audiobooks on-line. Free distribution is required by the terms of both my agreements mentioned above. What, may I ask, would you consider for a similar arrangement for “Tuesdays with Morrie” in Esperanto? I am hoping to pass the information along. Thank you for having read this far.

Hi @aplonis,

Thanks for your interest. Please contact the David Black Literary Agency regarding any foreign and audio rights inquiries, please contact Susan Raihofer at sraihofer@dblackagency.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest