* Detroit 28, Washington 16: The Redskins beat the Cowboys. The Lions beat the 49ers. So I guess these are the two best teams in the NFC, right? Then how come their combined records are 4-9? Pick vs. spread: Lions.
* Tampa Bay 24, Atlanta 23: Once upon a time, we pickers would see Tampa Bay and automatically put a “0” for the score. Ah, the good old days. Pick vs. spread: Falcons.
* Chicago 24, Houston 20: Let’s see. The Lions have to play San Francisco and Cleveland, while the Bears are playing Jacksonville and Carolina. Who do they know that we don’t? Pick vs. spread: Oilers.
* Miami 23, NY Jets 10: Usually it matters if Dan Marino is playing for Miami. Except against the Jets. Pick vs. spread: Dolphins.
* New Orleans 3, Carolina 2: Not for the easily bored. Pick vs. spread: Panthers.
* Cleveland 28, Jacksonville 20: Orel Hershiser pitches a three-hitter and Carlos Baerga smacks a — oops, wrong Cleveland. Pick vs. spread: Jaguars.
* St. Louis 21, San Francisco 14: Elvis Grbac at quarterback means only one thing: Welcome to the real world, 49ers. Pick vs. spread: Rams.
* Oakland 16, Indianapolis 14: Vince Evans, age 107, becomes the oldest man to start at quarterback since Methuselah played for the old Jerusalem Giants. Pick vs. spread: Colts.
* Kansas City 24, Denver 21: Have you been watching Steve Bono lately? No wonder Joe Montana wanted him to stay on the bench. Pick vs. spread: Chiefs.
* Green Bay 17, Minnesota 16: Every time they call the name “Edgar Bennett” I expect him to come out serving champagne and announcing guests. Pick vs. spread: Vikings.
* Seattle 17, San Diego 14: When the Chargers made the Super Bowl last year, all they could say was “Nobody believed in us.” This year, you can see why. Pick vs. spread: Seahawks.
* (Monday night) Buffalo 20, New England 17: Since everyone calls Bill Parcells a “genius,” I guess this year must be a science experiment. Pick vs. spread: Bills.
* Last week: 6-7.
* Season: 29-23 (I got a late start).
* Last week vs. spread: 6-7.
* Season vs. spread: 25-24-3.
* Mitch vs. Curt (vs. spread): Curt Sylvester leads by four games, 27-22-3 to 23-26-3. The sports writer with the best record gets his choice of teams in the Freep’s annual Great Super Bowl Debate. The debate will appear the day before Super Bowl XXX in Tempe, Ariz.
* Best pick last week: Kansas City 31, New England 30 (Chiefs won, 31-26).
* Worst pick last week: Oakland 34, Denver 28 (Broncos won, 27-0).