Fox 2 News (Detroit) will present a special three-part report on A Hole in the Roof Foundation‘s campaign to rebuild and repair the Caring and Sharing Mission & Orphanage in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. The first part airs tonight during the 10:00 p.m. news broadcast. Amy Lange, investigative reporter at Fox 2, followed the Detroit Muscle Crew during their second trip to Haiti to complete the repairs started in April. Last Februaru, A Hole in the Roof raised over $70,000 tound the needed improvements, including:
- new bathrooms with real showers with running water (instead of buckets with soapy water) and flush toilets (instead of holes in the ground). They also repaired the septic and plumbing system, and built a safer, elevated entrance;
- repair damaged ceilings and floors of dormitories, repaint walls, and retile floors;
- enclose the kitchen, put in new appliances, and install the first ever sink;
- move the loud generator, which leaked fumes, away from where the kids and build an enclosure;
- rebuild the platform that houses the water reservoir, protecting it from runoff and contamination;
- install a new electrical system and back up battery. Electricity throughout the day is sporadic and weak, and their backup generator requires expensive diesel. The new system means reliable power and a functioning refrigerator for the first time.
Please check back here for more videos and photos from this special report, airing during the nightly news at 10:00 p.m. on 8/4, 8/5, and 8/6. The Detroit Muscle Crew will be live in studio on Saturday, August 7th. Check local listings for more information.
A Hole in the Roof is a foundation committed to helping faith groups of every denomination who care for the homeless repair the spaces in which they carry out their work and offer their services. The mission of our project–The Campaign for Haiti’s Tomorrow—is to give these seventy children the basics every child deserves: clean water, food, a roof over their head. You can help us continue our work through your generous support and prayers.
The Caring and Sharing Mission and Orphanage has worked in Port-au-Prince, Haiti since 1983. The Mission provides on-site schooling for children in grades K-5, tuition for private schools for children in grades 6-12, two meals a day, a safe home, and a place for Christian worship. The orphanage is home to more than 70 children.
Please keep checking in at MitchAlbom.com, www.facebook.com/mitchalbom and twitter.com/mitchalbom for more updates on this special project, and thank you as always for all that you have done to support this mission.