* LIONS 31, VIKINGS 10: I don’t think we’ll see the prevent defense this week. Just a hunch.
* NEW ORLEANS 28, CHICAGO 17: I don’t think the Bears will see a prevent defense this week, either.
* TAMPA BAY 20, GREEN BAY 10: The battle of the bays! Yippee! Who cares?
* GIANTS 20, COWBOYS 19: Phil Simms gets up. Jeff Hostetler sits down. And the New York sports talk shows have their menu for the week.
* WASHINGTON 27, ATLANTA 20: Wouldn’t it be great if Washington had a baseball team? Then Deion Sanders could go back on pass coverage, back, back
— and catch a fly ball on the warning track.
* KANSAS CITY 21, SEATTLE 7: The Chiefs’ new quarterback is the Seahawks’ old quarterback. That’s the only hint you get.
* NY JETS 23, PITTSBURGH 20: I bet you still can’t guess his name.
* HOUSTON 27, INDIANAPOLIS 17: The Oilers’ loss to Pittsburgh last week shocked me. They lose this week, I look for new employment.
* LA RAIDERS 16, CINCINNATI 10: When David Shula took his first job as head coach, he didn’t figure 20 current and former Bengals would be named in a rape suit.
* NEW ENGLAND 20, LA RAMS 17: The best reason this week to clean your garage.
* SAN FRANCISCO 28, BUFFALO 27: Shouldn’t they be saving this game for the Super Bowl?
* DENVER 30, SAN DIEGO 13: The Broncos should save a lot of sweat by waiting until the game’s last minute before getting dressed, then giving the ball to Elway and letting him do what he’s gonna do anyhow.
* PHILADELPHIA 28, PHOENIX 20: Cardinals’ Timm Rosenbach got knocked unconscious last week. This week, the Eagles go for the rest.
* MIAMI 28, CLEVELAND 14 (Monday night): And only if Bernie Kosar can get to his feet by then.
* BEST PICK LAST WEEK: Buffalo 38, LA Rams 7 (Bills won, 40-7).
* WORST PICK LAST WEEK: Cleveland 24, Indianapolis 9 (Colts won, 14-3).
* RECORD LAST WEEK: 9-4.
* RECORD VS. SPREAD: 7-5-1.