THE LIVE ALBOM:
* Let’s see now. Philadelphia fires its hockey coach. St. Louis fires its hockey coach. Montreal says goodby to its hockey coach. And Jacques Demers gets a two-year contract extension. No wonder everyone wants to work for the Red Wings.
* Actually, this rash of firings got me thinking: What business would certain sports stars get into when their athletic years were over?
* Chuck Nevitt’s Big & Tall Man’s Store
* Billy Martin’s Extra Strong Coffee
* Hair by Don King
* Speaking of the Red Wings, they are bowing to youth in cutting Harold Snepsts. But know this: Snepsts was a great influence on the Wings. A real example of maturity and perseverance. And seeing him on a scoring line against Edmonton — scraping, digging, doing whatever it took — is a memory this city will not soon forget.
* Dr. Harold Snepsts, DDS
* If you ask me, it’s just as well that Bobby Knight didn’t go to New Mexico. I can just see all that beautiful landscape littered with tossed chairs and smashed telephones.
* Besides, the Lobos? Is that really the team name? Didn’t they sing “La Bamba”?
* The Tigers lose three in a row, everybody is talking trades. The Tigers win two in a row, everybody is patting them on the back.
* Who says we overreact?
* RRRRROOOM! . . . I guess the . . . RRRRRROOOM! . . . Indy 500 m-BRRRROOOOM-ust be co . . . RRRRRRRRRRRROOOOM!!! . . . ming.
* CLASS MOVE OF THE WEEK: With 10 seconds to go in Game 5, Chicago Bulls coach Doug Collins came down to the Detroit bench and shook hands with every Pistons player.
* CLASSLESS MOVE OF THE WEEK: The high school tennis players in Grosse Pointe Woods who dumped horse manure and chicken parts inside their school. What’s the matter, guys? Forget your lunch money?
* Word is Michigan’s Gary Grant is skipping the U.S. Olympic trials to get his degree. Education’s gain. Nation’s loss.
* The truth can now be told. Potsie Weber, from “Happy Days,” grew up, moved to Michigan, and is Scott Wahle on Channel 4.
MICHAEL, THE DOG DOES IT BETTER
Hey Potsie! Hey Scottie!