A Time to Help volunteers will work with COTS [Coalition on Temporary Shelter] to assist with tasks in their Warehouse. Volunteers will be divided into four teams to complete different tasks.
When: Saturday, March 16 | 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Project Description: Clear out and organize storage unit. This facility is used to house donated furniture items that will be distributed to individuals and families who have been in the shelter and have found housing. There will be 4 volunteer teams and 4 COTS staff onsite. Space is limited to 40-50 Volunteers.
- Team #1 – Movers (they will clear out unit using dollies and muscles)
- Team #2 – Repair (they will make minor repairs and determine what items should be discarded)
- Team #3 – Organizers (they will coordinate where items will be placed in the storage facility)
- Team #4 – Inventory (document items in the storage facility)
Good to Know:
- COTS will provide tools and gloves
- COTS will provide water, coffee and nutritious snacks.
- Volunteers should wear comfortable and weather appropriate clothing that can get dirty or damaged. Personal items should be left at home.
Where: COTS | 26 Peterboro St | Detroit, MI 48201
Sign up: http://www.atimetohelp.org/signup.html
Contact: Rachael Williams | A Time to Help Coordinator | RWilliams@drmm.org
Founded in 1982, Coalition On Temporary Shelter (COTS) is a private, non-profit organization that provides emergency shelter, transitional housing, as well as comprehensive support services for the homeless and at-risk population. COTS’ mission is to alleviate homelessness by providing an array of services which enable people to achieve self-sufficiency and obtain quality affordable housing. COTS provides more than 40,000 nights of emergency shelter for more than 2,000 men women and children annually. COTS also exists to advocate for long-term solutions to the problems of homelessness.